K-Tec

Where is the 'darkest' part of Ireland?

More
12 years 3 months ago #92094 by nialldunne24
Replied by nialldunne24 on topic Re: Where is the 'darkest' part of Ireland?
The Beara peninsula gets my vote, whenever I go home I pretty much live outside!I have mistaken the Zodiacal light for dusk before I realised what I was looking at, the brighter nebula take on a 3d quality as the background is beautifully dark, Ive only seen darker skies in the galapagos- and that was pitch dark

......When its not raining that is!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #101565 by jimiwden
Replied by jimiwden on topic Where is the 'darkest' part of Ireland?
Hi all,

You may have all heard of these apps by now but I thought I'd leave this here just in case.

Two apps that can measure the Light Pollution/Dark Sky in your area:

For Android: 'Loss of the Night' scistarter.com/project/801-Loss%20of%20the%20Night?tab=project

For iPhone: itunes.apple.com/us/app/dark-sky-meter/id602989060?mt=8

Found in this article: blogs.plos.org/citizensci/2013/05/10/two...ure-light-pollution/

The data from 'Loss of the night' is sent to the Globe at Night project as part of their international dark sky campaign. But you can also follow the 5 steps on their website to contribute your dark sky reading: www.globeatnight.org/5-steps.php

There's only 5 readings on the Globe at Night interactive map for Ireland so far - so it'd be great to get more up on the map.

I measured a value of about 21 or limiting magnitude 6 using the Dark Sky Meter in Furbogh, Co. Galway. This is about 7 miles from Galway city. I also got a value of about 6 magnitude in the same location by counting the stars in the Constellation Hercules on August 21st, 2014 using the the Globe at Night method.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by jimiwden.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds