Favourite observations of 2014

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102686 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Favourite observations of 2014
Thank you, Paul, for all your great observing throughout 2014! I was delighted you got a new scope this year!

I am just wondering: had you a favourite double / triple star? I still love Tegmine (Zeta Cancri). Although it did not make my top 10 this year.

Aubrey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102689 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Favourite observations of 2014
Here are some of my favourites from 2014, which include some familiar targets and a couple that are less often highlighted With best wishes for 2015, Mike.

ν Sco, Jabbah: Very difficult double double, low in sky. Finally resolved all four components! The brighter narrower pair is exceptionally difficult. (2014/08/02)

η Cas, Achird, STF60: Very fine combination of a brilliant, pale yellow star, nicely separated at 50X from a much fainter, but still moderately bright, copper-orange secondary. The rich field is speckled with stars. (2014/12/15)

Saturn: Cassini division clear, rings very open, faint cloud belts just visible. Dione, Rhea and Titan easily visible and Tethys just discernible. (2014/05/17)

Emerald Eye Nebula, NGC6572 (Oph): Bright planetary with a vivid bluish green colour, appears to be slightly elongated NW SE at high magnification. (2014/06/29)

Mars: Polar ice-cap visible as a dazzling white arc. Two large greenish areas visible and a whitish feature on limb near equator too. By far my best ever view of Mars. (2014/05/16)

Ring Nebula, M57 (Lyr): Large and bright with a distinct ring shape, at 215X Excellent! (2014/06/29)

M5 (Ser): Very fine, with loads of tiny stars visible, and the flattened shape clearly discernible. (2014/05/16)

M2 (Aqr): Fine bright globular, with myriad pinpricks of light shimmering in and ot of view. (2014/07/23)

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102690 by flt158
Brilliant list, Mike -as to be expected. It seems you and I enjoy the same things. Planets and double stars, planetary nebula and globular stars clusters.

Here's to 2015!

Aubrey.

More
9 years 4 months ago #102691 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Favourite observations of 2014
Cheers Aubrey, and a big thank you to all who have posted observing lists in this thread and in many other threads over the last year. I really enjoy reading observing reports, partly because it's interesting to read about unfamiliar objects (e.g. the lunar features described by Aubrey), but mostly because of the enthusiasm, and the unique voice of each observer (who can match Lunartic's humour?).

So clear skies to all, and keep those reports coming.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
9 years 4 months ago #102693 by flt158
Thank you for everyone who has contributed thus far.

It certainly not the time to finish up on this posting. We are all enjoying these reports

So has anyone else got some memorable gems they want to share with us? Even ONE will do!!

Clear skies in 2015 and Happy New Year.

Aubrey.

• Roy Stewart
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2014
More
9 years 4 months ago #102700 by Roy Stewart
Replied by Roy Stewart on topic Favourite observations of 2014
Hi Aubrey..

It might sound a bit biased but for me it is
definitely the Skellig Star Party from Aug 22-24.
It wasn't only for the amazing night skies, it was mostly for the
the friendly relaxed atmosphere, meeting a bunch
of excellent ppl, eating scrummy BBQ(MORNING,EVENING AND NIGHT)
Having a 1980's music quiz at 3am and of course viewing all those DSO's
from magnitude 6.8 skies (It'll have to be seen to be believed).
I have a feeling it might be my 2015 highlight too(Fingers Crossed).

Cheers Roy

QUOTE: “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” ― Arthur C. Clarke.
Skywatcher 200pds & HEQ5 PRO Mount , 15x70 Astro Revelation binos.. EP's SW 38mm 2" Panaview- SW 30mm 2" Aero- SW 26mm 2"Panaview.. 2" UHC filter-2" OIII filter.

www.twitter.com/Roydeboy33
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds