K-Tec

The Messier Objects

More
16 years 2 months ago #62590 by stevie
Replied by stevie on topic Re: The Messier Objects
I've just ordered a copy of each of the O'Meara books mentioned, the Messier and the Hidden Treasures (got a nice book token for my birthday). I got the Caldwell objects book during the summer, it is quite brilliant, probably my favourite astronomy book (actually, Sue French's Celestial Sampler is my favourite, but that neither here nor there). There is no overlapping with the Messier objects, the Caldwell objects were originally selected by Sir Patrick Moore and listed in a letter to Sky and Telescope back in the late 70's (Caldwell is Moore's middle name). It is, if you like, an alternative or updated Messier list. O'Meara describes each in turn, with drawings, photo's and maps, taking about four pages for each. The drawings and photo's are shown as the observer would expect or hope to seem them with a four inch refractor or equivalent, there are few if any Hubble-type images. He observed each one himself from Hawaii with a four inch scope, and his decriptions are superb. Included in the list are some obscure objects, but also some very well-known, eg Cats-Eye nebula and the Double Cluster. I bought EPK a copy at the same time as a thank you, and he and I have been planning a Caldwell Marathon ever since, we've just haven't had the time or clear skies, but some night soon. It should be noted that only about 65 or so of the Caldwell's are visible in the northern hemisphere, unlike the Messier's, which are all visible. Also, the objects follow a logical pattern, staring with the highest declination, and working downwards. I'm just hoping the other two books are even half as good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65969 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re: The Messier Objects
I agree completely with Stevie.
The Caldwell Objects book is one of the finest astronomy books I've ever read.
A wealth of information, and in an extremely readable format, unusual for a reference book...one you can read for fun!

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

More
16 years 1 month ago #65970 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: The Messier Objects

well, i finally got "turn left at Orion" - its not a hardcopy but a PDF. (free)

Where did you get it?

I SPENT €32 on the damn thing.......................

I could have just printed it off.

I know of a website that has 960+ books related to astronomy in digital form and available for free download. However, I am almost certain it is illegal and it is best not to make matters worse by posting here any links. :oops:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 1 month ago #65975 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: The Messier Objects

If you would like an idea of the view you will get, but don't want to order a book, there are sketches of each messier object here www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/archives/000416.html

Nice One!! :D

Just got added to my Favourites Euronymous!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 1 month ago #65977 by mjs
Replied by mjs on topic Re: The Messier Objects

I don't have his Caldwell book either, because I assume it overlaps in targets with Messier. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Jeff,
I have his Caldwell book (signed by the man himself in Birr) and I can confirm that there is no duplication of any Messier objects. It does include objects from both northern and southern hemispheres, hence no Caldwell marathons!

More
16 years 1 month ago #65979 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: The Messier Objects
Thanks Michael. I might have to pick up a copy.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds