K-Tec

Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86600 by hickeydp
Hi Dave,

Don't know you personally but delighted for you.

As someone who has only begun to scratch the surface of astronomy it is a real inspiration to keep exploring further and learn more.

Great work!!

Damien

Clear skies
Damien

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #86604 by dmcdona
eansbro wrote:

Hi Dave Mc,
This was before CCD cameras. I remember I took about 80 hours of exposures using photo film.

It's ironical that when the IFAS AOP was initiated 3 or 4 years ago, there was a lot of enthusium as team work, but it is difficult to coordinate a team program. I know in the UK that there SN searches are done by individual observers, whereby in the US you have the Puckett team that analyse the comparison images in teams. The idea of IFAS AOP was a similar model to the Puckett approach. I still believe this approach will work with an Irish team.

I really hope that Dave's SN discovery will be an inspiration to others on the IFAS board to try this out.

Eamonn A

That was some achievement Eamonn - it goes to show just how far technology has progressed and (potentially) how much easier it has become to do real research at an amateur level.

As regards the AOP - I think the biggest issues are:

1. There is no funding for equipment or infrastructure to allow team collaborations
2. Most amateurs have day-jobs and can either do data colletion or data analysis - not both
3. We are weather challenged...

But I'd hope that recent years have proved the concept that amateurs can and do play a major role in the gathering of data - the professionals recognise this and indeed value it highly.

For example, on the MPC, you see the big surveys making discoveries by the bucket load (with their bucket loads of funding and full-time positions) - but is is mostly amateurs who do the follow-up. Without Peter Birtwhistle, Kieran Rooney, Dave Grennan, Carl O'Beirnes and many others, these objects would be lost. Without Puckett, Grennan and Boles, the professional observatories would have a hard time discovering SN - the amateurs do it and the pros get to do all the fancy science, write a paper and then get more funding. I'm not complaining - I think its a great symbiotic relationship. But there should be some pay-back at some point. I think the day will come - but not any time soon methinks.

All we can hope to do is our best - either as individuals, teams or both. I would hope that IFAS could assist in that process in the future. And I'd certainly hope that Dave's monumental discovery will galavanise other amateurs to get involved - perhaps this will be the "light the blue touch paper and stand back" moment.

We'll let this settle down, let Dave enjoy his deserved credit and then perhaps we can start up an Irish SN Search programme. Now *that* would be cool and something I would support fully.

Dave

p.s. - just saw the 6-1 news - loved the backround music :) I also bought the Indo today - the front page photo is classic - Dave with the telescope and a full washing line (not Dave's) in the backround - thought a saw a humungous pair of big knickers on it :laugh: (also not Dave's...)

More
13 years 6 months ago #86605 by R Newman
Can i also pass on best wishes and Congrats to Dave from myself and everyone at Galway Astronomy Club on your recent amazing discovery.

Ronan Newman

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
13 years 6 months ago #86608 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
hickeydp wrote:

As someone who has only begun to scratch the surface of astronomy it is a real inspiration to keep exploring further and learn more.

Damien, Were all only scratching the surface and anyone who pretends otherwise is kidding themselves. However I know what you mean. I was there too. If this discovery means anything at all it's that amateurs CAN do this sort of valuable astronomy. So keep at it Damien, persevere and when you run into the wall remember that there are those of us just a little further down the road here to help. You won't find a more helpful bunch of lads and lassies than here.

To everyone else thanks again. Its been on very strange day today. I never expected this to attract so much media attention. It goes to show that people ARE interested in what we do.

Hopefully see some of you in birr on saturday.

Dave.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
13 years 6 months ago #86609 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
Hi Dave

Many congrats on your fantastic discovery. Well Done

Trevor

Cheers
Trevor

• Redmond_Algol_OLeary
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 6 months ago #86610 by Redmond_Algol_OLeary
Replied by Redmond_Algol_OLeary on topic Re:Congrats to Dave Grennan on his SN discovery.
Congrats Dave, your only encouraging us all to get back into the garden more often!

I am using your pic to try and convince my lovely wife to let me finally covert the shed!

Redmond

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds