• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #54708 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: WANTED: SN Search Team
Cheers Stephen - have done

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #54709 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: WANTED: SN Search Team

Unofficial Answer: What the I.T. doesn't know won't hurt us:). Except if you have to install software. The audit software would pick that up.

And on the offchance that the software will run on Solaris and that it is completely automated I can borrow a lot of cpu cycles at work :-)

There must be some software that can automatically do the blinking? It needs to align the images, match the brightness & contrast then flag anything thats different over a certain threshold. A tedious manual process.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #54710 by dmcdona

And on the offchance that the software will run on Solaris and that it is completely automated I can borrow a lot of cpu cycles at work :-)

Cool!

There must be some software that can automatically do the blinking? It needs to align the images, match the brightness & contrast then flag anything thats different over a certain threshold. A tedious manual process.

There must be - but I wouldn't have a notion of where to look. I think that if it out there, its probably proprietary. Still, if anyone comes across such a beast, that would be super. Of course, if anyone one to write such a beast...

Cheers
Dave

More
16 years 5 months ago #54711 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: WANTED: SN Search Team
Have you seen this guy's stuff Dave?

www.supernovae.be/supernova.htm

I don't know if it is available to download anywhere however or if he would be agreeable to share with the AOP?

Also, I think there might be some software tucked away somewhere from the team that ran JANet and StarLink which were the UK observatories network. The systems team was disbanded due to funding problems (a terrible decision in my mind) but the members still have pretty amazing software on a site whose name currently eludes me. I should have a reference at home. It might have stuff to do blinking -- certainly they wrote a lot of image processing software -- but I am not sure if it's what is required for this programme.

atb,

John

More
16 years 5 months ago #54713 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: WANTED: SN Search Team
Hi Dave, I don't have the necessary equipment for 1 and 3 but I'd be happy to help if I can on 2 (Blinking) and 4 (coordinating data).

JohnL ;-)

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 5 months ago #54715 by dmcdona

Have you seen this guy's stuff Dave?
John

That is very interesting John. I've sent an email asking if there is anything he could offer. Its a very well thought out package and it looks very good.

I had a look for JANet and StarLink - I found a couple of good sites. But to be honest, it looks pretty complicated. I'm working through the SExtractor manual to see if it will do the trick. I got another link to ESO - they have a distributed CD with all kinds of software on. But again, I think its pretty complex professional type stuff.

Thanks for the info - its certainly opened up a few more paths.

John L - you're on the list!

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds