Ireland map with clubs on it

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #41016 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Ireland map with clubs on it
I thinks we should go with the simple map idea until we get all the clubs google earth positions, I don't want this to hold us up. To be honest, I too am not thrilled with the google map idea, its abit complicated, but I was willing to go with the flow.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #41031 by dave_lillis

OK, the thing to remember about the big map is that if this is going to be scalable it HAS to be blank and I need a blank label that I can place text over with HTML. The idea is that the map will sit there and then for each club a layer will be placed over the map in the right place with a name on it. As clubs come and go the labels will automatically change. That entire page is generated from a database table, none of it is hard-coded so the map needs to be the same.

Hope that makes sense,

Bart.

Just so I understand you Bart, the map 2 posts up will do if there were no club labels on it?
And, do you need a small jpeg blank label into which you'll fit each clubs name?, this is easy to do.

More
17 years 2 months ago #41035 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Ireland map with clubs on it

OK, the thing to remember about the big map is that if this is going to be scalable it HAS to be blank and I need a blank label that I can place text over with HTML. The idea is that the map will sit there and then for each club a layer will be placed over the map in the right place with a name on it. As clubs come and go the labels will automatically change. That entire page is generated from a database table, none of it is hard-coded so the map needs to be the same.

Hope that makes sense,

Bart.

Just so I understand you Bart, the map 2 posts up will do if there were no club labels on it?
And, do you need a small jpeg blank label into which you'll fit each clubs name?, this is easy to do.

Yea, that map blank would do fine and since Trev emailed it to me that bit is sorted.

For the labeles ideally I need something which looks good and has an area where I can put text. I'll have a play myself and then others can do a shinnier version when they see what I mean more clearly.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 2 months ago #41044 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Ireland map with clubs on it
OK, made a lot more progress this evening .... All data is now coming form the database and each club is a separate layer placed over the blank map based on the club's entry in the database.

At the moment nothing happens when you click on a club but I should get to that tomorrow. I'd definitely say we've made good progress: www.irishastronomy.org/ifas/members.php

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #41047 by dave_lillis
Definitely !
Looking forward to seeing the completed first go of this.
With the basic principle working, it shouldn't be hard to modify/polish it up if needed.

If you had casually put "astronoy clubs ireland" in google or something similar, you would have found us, proves the point you only find what you go look for.

More
17 years 2 months ago #41049 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Ireland map with clubs on it

Definitely !
If you had casually put "astronoy clubs ireland" in google or something similar, you would have found us, proves the point you only find what you go look for.

And for "astronomy club ireland" Ifas is first and Kerry is number 2. 8)

Cheers
Trevor

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds