K-Tec

IFAS donations

More
16 years 2 months ago #61789 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: IFAS donations
if people start donating with more regularity, is there any point in the adds? Im not fully fond of the idea of the site being cluttered up with adds. its not my decision though, but thats just my input.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #61791 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: IFAS donations
I am in the minority here but I still am against the idea of donations. After all IFAS's constitution is

"The aim of the Federation shall be to promote the interests and development of amateur astronomical societies in Ireland."

I think it is wrong that individuals have to fund the website which is an integral part of IFAS.

I would prefer to see advertising / sponsorship funding the site. If the site was a seperate entity to IFAS then i would have no problem with donations.

Cheers
Trevor

More
16 years 2 months ago #61794 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: IFAS donations
No adds please :roll:
How much money are we talking about?
Its a very good site as it is. I'd hate to see it cluttered up with adds and pop ups for the sake of a few quid (constitution or otherwise).

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 2 months ago #61795 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: IFAS donations
My understanding was that IFAS is funded through subscriptions paid by the member clubs - each club paying in proportion to its membership. If that subscription is not enough to cover expenses (and the website is very much worth it) then IFAS need to raise the subscription fee.

I'd hate to see the site cluttered with ads - they're a real turn-off.

My 2c worth,

Phil.

More
16 years 2 months ago #61797 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: IFAS donations
Yes, can we get some figures as to running costs and number of clubs supported by the site. If the cost of club membership goes up a bit for the sake of the site, no big deal. SDAS is only 20 quid anyway. if it had to go up a small bit for paying members, I personally am all for it. I would hate to see this site go. what would i do 9am - 6pm?? Work???

As i stated earlier, adds are not a nice idea, they clutter up a site, and give a cheap garish feel. the site has a quiet dignity at present, it would be a shame to loose that.

just my humble opinion.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
16 years 2 months ago #61805 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: IFAS donations
Don't worry guys, the likes of Google Ads etc are ONLY NECESSARY if funds got really low. The committee has considered them for visitors, but would disappear when members log in.

The donation 'request' is not compulsory at all. It is more to indicate to our foreign visitors (just like many other foreign community sites, blogs, and forums, like this one) that if they would like to donate, there is the option. Nothing is compulsory. Nationally, it is paid for by subscribed members via their clubs' subscriptions.

Some clubs are on limited funds themselves, so it is unfair to request large amounts for subscription to this site annually. Hence why it is low to begin with. Before, for example with SDAS, they had free membership (until recently). Unfortunately, we do live in a rip-off republic, so this makes 'free' sites like this used to be, hard to maintain economically.

The funds that go in are to further the IFAS cause by request of its members - better and faster hosting for the website, add-ons like galleries and audio libraries, leaflets, posters and other display media, and so on. So far, all incentives through this site during the last 5 years have been run by volunteers.

Hope this sheds some more light on the matter.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds