K-Tec

Feedback on the new site

More
15 years 9 months ago #71867 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
ro_c,

The ads are there to assist with generating revenue to pay for the hosting. Hosting doesn't come freely or cheap.
The ads are quite small and don't stand out significantly
We are still working on a solution for the images.
We aren't able to bring back the old boards. It's a one way transfer in terms of the effort, we have spent too many hours to get to this and none of the web team wants to go back.
Anyway, this site may not be to your preferences in terms of appearance while we fix issues but it offers far more functionality and alot more ways for people to get involved than the old boards.
WWhile there maybe some pain for individuals, the community benefits more than it ever could with the older site.
So be a part of the community and help!
Darragh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71873 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
darragh wrote:

this site may not be to your preferences in terms of appearance while we fix issues but it offers far more functionality and alot more ways for people to get involved than the old boards.

Not lest it be mentioned that for some users who had problems with the old boards style have had them 'fixed' with this one. :) Can't please everyone!

Re: the images, we have size guidelines in place concerning width etc. though they were based on the old bards width. They may have to be shrunk by a further 100 pixels here to ensure they fit in future.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 9 months ago #71875 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
jeyjey wrote:

While editing my article I noticed a few things:

The Insert/Edit Image button in the Article editor doesn't work. It always assumes Insert, even when you have an image selected. (I used HTML source to resize my images down to fit, which was OK except that Find starts at the beginning again after every change. These might be FireBoard/Joomla bugs, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.)

It's on my todo list

On short pages (such as the Articles page), the gray footer clobbers part of the main menu.

I've now fixed and tested it in Firefox 3 and IE6, I don't have access to IE7 but it works in the other browsers

When I uploaded the images for my article I couldn't figure out how to create a new folder. So they all went in at the root level (along with Michael's). No problem now, but it won't scale very well....

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

I'll try to put a piece together on how to use the article editor in the next few days, that should explain it a little more.

Darragh

More
15 years 9 months ago #71881 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
Darragh --

Cool.

I'll be offline for a couple of days, but I might do a couple more articles when I get back to Ireland. How about an "ATM" section (or can I add Article categories myself)?

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
15 years 9 months ago #71886 by ro_c
Replied by ro_c on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
darragh,

Is there anyway you could leave out the main menu on the left handside and just have the firebird div displaying so then it can use the full screenspace? You could run a horizontal menu across the top of the forum to access the Main Menu / User Menu while using the forum? Just a suggestion.

Cheers for the quick reply. I hope I didnt sound too bitchy about the new stuff, i appreciate all the work you lads have put in. The site is definitely looking better than ever, it would be great if you didnt have to have a workaround and resize the fantastic images people post here even more though.

Ro_c

More
15 years 9 months ago #71893 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:Feedback on the new site
ADDENDUM

*Subject line for all posts is very short. Must increase character limit.
*Ampersand symbol (&) appears as "&" in posts existed before migration.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds