15 years 2 months ago #76725 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Suggestions
PhilipLardner wrote:

Glad you like it - that's my work! :laugh:

Thats gas Phil!
It really is a small internet.
:laugh:

PhilipLardner wrote:

If you want to use it then go right ahead - though it could be tailored a bit better for astronomy (current sunspot map / aurora report / seeing prediction map / etc.) I have links for most of these things as well. Dave Grennan also has some very good links on his webtreats site.
Phil.

I like it!
You could have 2 parts,
the first half - Earth weather
(the 2 links Dave suggested are great, I use those all the time also.)
and then the bottom half - Space Weather.

It would save checking loads of sites.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #76862 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re:Suggestions
Would it be possible to add the "you have an unread private message" doo-hickey to the Forum page somewhere? I often go directly there rather than going through the Home page....

(Or perhaps move it to between the User Menu and Moon Phase so it's visible in all sections?)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
15 years 1 month ago #76906 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Suggestions
I don't know what PMS plugin is currently in use by the website, but uddeIM (link below) certainly does this. It puts a small message just under your login avatar on the front page telling you if you have unread mail. It can also be set to pop up a small dialogue box on the recipients screen (if they are on line when the message is sent) telling them that they have new mail - this is a rather cool feature, especially when used in conjunction with a chat-box. You can PM someone and invite them for a one-to-one chat or public on-line.

extensions.joomla.org/extensions/3206/details

Phil.

More
15 years 1 month ago #76952 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re:Suggestions
Philip,

We are currently using Jim for PMs but it looks like it is not being actively developed anymore.
I use uddeIM on a few other sites and it is excellent, lots of features and we will have a look into installing it
Also, on Kunena, I am going to try it on a very small site I run first for awhile to work out any issues with it

Darragh

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #76954 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Suggestions
I'm currently setting up a new Joomla site with CB, Kunena and another component called GroupJive. GJ is still in development but seems reasonably stable so far - as does Kunena. GJ allows users to set up their own rublic or private groups on your website and create public or private forums within Kunena, so potentially every club could have its own group and forum on the IFAS site. I'm still only investigating this, but it does look pretty cool!

If you register on www.ihpa.ie/newsite I'll approve you and you can take the site for a spin. The site hasn't gone live to our members yet and I'll be deleting all the test users, messages and content before it does, so son't worry about posting rubbish! Click on 'Community' then 'Groups' to play with GroupJive on IHPA.

I've also added what looks like a very good Buy & Sell component. Like IFAS, the IHPA currently relies on its mailing list/forum for this function, and it's not great. Being able to categorise items and also put an expiry date on adverts is very useful.

Phil.

www.groupjive.org .
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by philiplardner.

More
15 years 1 month ago #76956 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re:Suggestions
Philip,

I have used Groupjive in the past for private forum sections but I have found it to be quite messy.
I use custom groups in Joomla ( docs.joomla.org/Custom_user_groups ) to do the same thing on this site at the moment.
Hopefully, Groupjive and custom groups will be obsoleted with Joomla 1.6 which will have proper group access control. Kunena are relying on group access control in Joomla 1.6 for private forums.

Darragh

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds