K-Tec

Sugarloaf Tomorrow?

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 9 months ago #111367 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf Tomorrow?
Hi Aubrey, 

That's great news...and I can get down for 9pm to help with setting-up your scope...no bother at all!

From what time will Saturn and Jupiter be up?

Clear skies,

Darren. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #111368 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf Tomorrow?
Thank you, Darren. 
See you at about 9pm. 
And a big thank you for organising tonight. 

I have only checked Saturn's rising time. 
It's due to occur at precisely 10pm out time. 
Jupiter would be later rising. 

By the way, I'm tempted to inform the people I have from Orbit. 
The more the merrier!

Clear skies from Aubrey.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 9 months ago #111369 by Until_then-Goodnight!
You're more than welcome Aubrey, and go for it. In fact, a friend of mine will be joining us tonight. His name is Shane and he has always wanted to see Saturn. So yep, the more the merrier!

See you later,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

More
1 year 9 months ago #111370 by flt158
I haven't heard back from anyone yet, Darren.
But you never know someone might show up eventually. 
I'm delighted to know that your friend Shane is coming. 

Now what's that falling from the sky. 
Why yes! it's rain. 
Hopefully it will become clear later. 

Best regards from Aubrey. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #111372 by flt158
It sure was a good night at the Sugarloaf after all the problems with cloud early on. 
But I must thank Darren for encouraging us to join him in the famous car park. It was great to be with Michael and Darren's friend Shane with us.  

Here is my report from Thursday night 28th July.
As you know, my scope is a William Optics 158mm f/7 apochromatic refractor. My finder scope is a small WO 70mm f/7 apo. Mirror diagonals are fitted to both scopes. My mount is a Berlebach Planet altazimuth. 

1. Because our sky was about 90% covered with cloud at first, the only star I could see was Capella. The 6th brightest star was low in the northern sky, and after a while Capella F was seen at 40x. This optical double is otherwise called HJ 2256. Magnitudes: A = 0.08. F = 10.2. Sep = 107.5". PA = 135 degrees. There was too much distortion to figure out the colours. When Capella is higher it's a yellow G8 giant star.  

2. As the sky became clearer, Arcturus made an appearance. At 40x its golden colour was nice with CN Boo near it. 

3. Straight up was Izar. I had a super tight split at 112x and 140x yet again. It's definitely Pulcherrima all the way.

4. Having shown Izar to Darren's friend Shane, where else to go but to Mizar in Ursa Major? At 40x the 2 white stars with Mizar was a sight to behold. I told Shane that Mizar was the first double star I split way back in 1977. 

5. Back I went to northern Boötes, and bypassed the easy double stars Kappa and Iota Bootis. Nearby is a true binary called STF 1871. Its magnitudes are: A = 8. B = 8.1. Sep = <1.89". PA = 313 degrees. At 112x I had a very thin separation and the sight was simply beautiful. Shane said it was a brilliant double star and I completely agree. 140x gave an even better view. The 2 stars are yellow-white.  

6. Very nearby is STF 1889. It's an optical double. Magnitudes: A = 6.5. B = 9.6. Sep = 15.1". PA = 93 degrees. At 112x the colours were white and slight orange. 

7. S Coronae Borealis (S Crb) was easily seen at 11x with my 70mm small apo. This variable star has now faded however. But it still has a delightful and strong orange colour. I have estimated its magnitude on www,aavso.org as +6.0. 

8. Finally I finished up with Saturn with its beautiful rings. I observed it at 112x. Titan, Rhea and Iapetus were observed too. Saturn's magnitude was +0.4. Its distance was about 1,331,700,000 kilometres from us. Poor seeing conditions prevented me from seeing Dione and Tethys. 

It was great to have a reasonably clear sky once again at the Sugarloaf. 
Let's do it all again some time soon. 

Clear skies from Aubrey .   
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by flt158.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 8 months ago #111380 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi Aubrey, 

Very many thanks for detailing last Thursday's session so well. And I was delighted that we managed a good session as it was looking fairly bleak when we arrived.

It was great to introduce Shane to you and Michael. He had a wonderful time and was very grateful to both of you for showing him the night sky.

In addition to what you and Michael showed him, we did took in the following wonders:

The Double-Cluster in Perseus
The Double-Double in Lyra
M13
M31 (and M32...couldn't make out M110 though)
M57
Albireo 
The Owl Cluster, and
Jupiter and its four main Moons

It was brilliant seeing you and Michael again, and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon.

Clear skies my friend,

Darren.

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds