K-Tec

Sugarloaf Friday 18th

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 5 months ago #111603 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Sugarloaf Friday 18th
Hi Aubrey,

Many thanks for providing those details about tonight's events...I might try to get down a bit earlier to catch Europa dissappear.

See you all later on,

Darren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #111604 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Sugarloaf Friday 18th
I would say it is going to be 8.30pm by the time I get to the Sugarloaf, lads. 
It's my wife's birthday, and she has a friend coming to eat a Japanese meal. 

See you later, Darren and Paul. 

I'm guessing Michael is away - maybe in Australia

More
1 year 5 months ago #111606 by flt158
Hello, one and all.

It was great to re-observe with my astronomical friends Darren and Paul in the Sugarloaf car park on Friday night 18th November 2022. 
But we had the super addition of President Mick McCreary of the Irish Astronomy Society with us. 
I had both my William Optics 158mm f/7 apochromatic refractor and the William Optics 70mm f/6 small apo with me of course. 
There was a 10 to 14 km/h breeze, but the real problem was the dew. The air temperature was 5˚ Celsius. I had 7 layers of clothing on me. And goodness me! Did I need every one of them? The chill was bad enough. The seeing was not good at all at the beginning. Paul could see that by stating he could barely see the Milky Way with his eyes. Darren observed Saturn with his 10” reflector and the view was so poor – absolute mush! I observed from 21.30 till 23.00 UT with my refractors. It was good to be home at midnight. 

1. Jupiter was the “star” of the night. Its magnitude is now -2.7. Distance: 651,177,000 kms from us. At 11x with my small 70x I could easily bright 4.8 magnitude Ganymede on its western side. There was great excitement at 40x in the main scope when we could only see 1 other moon very close to the north western side of Jupiter. It was 6.1 magnitude Callisto! I have just figured out how close separation-wise this moon was to Jupiter: a mere 9.5”. Magnificent! The other 2 moons – Io and Europa were behind the giant planet until 22.14. Io suddenly appeared a full 4 minutes early. Using my 167x eyepiece, a lovely tiny speck appeared to my observing eye some distance from the planet.The moon had to clear Jupiter's massive shadow. It was a huge thrill to see a 3rd moon joining us live! At 140x I observed the North and South Equatorial Belts and the North Polar Region and not much else. I wondered if there was a split visible in the SEB. Still it was a memorable night with my favourite planet. There were 3 field stars near Jupiter. One of them was a 7.6 magnitude star called HD 224037. This orange star has a spectral class of K5. 

2. After all that excitement, I moved the scope to Mars. I had to clean with a small cloth 3 of my eyepieces at this stage: 38mm, 28mm and 6.7mm, the dew was causing some noticeable problems. At 140x and 167x, I could just about see the North Polar Hood. Syrtis Major was supposed to be on view, but yours truly could NOT see it. It proved that the seeing was still not good. So I left my planetary viewing for the night. 

3. My 3rd and final object was a single star. Mick and I expressed our gratitude to Paul for pointing out to us Mu Cephei the Garnet Star which Sir William Herschel discovered back in his day. We could see this famous star - that has a spectral class of M2 - with our eyes once we got our bearings. It varies from 3.4 to 4.5 in magnitude. At 40x its “Jaffa” orange colour was a delight to behold. Thank you, Paul!

Now I wish to ask Paul to remind me regards what I need to kill these dew problems which my scope has from time to time. Any time, Paul! Thank you. 
I'm noticing that Amazon UK don't have in stock a Lens Dew Heater. 
Here is the link:
www.amazon.co.uk/Temperature-Regulator-U...83863990464099&psc=1

Clear skies to everyone from Aubrey. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fermidox, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 5 months ago #111607 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi Aubrey,

Thank you very much for sharing your observations with us - lovely descriptions. And it sure was a bitterly cold night. I'm definitely investing in some ski trousers yo keep my legs warm.

Like you, it was great to meet up with everyone last night, just sorry I couldn't have stayed longer. That being said, I did get to see Jupiter and three of its Moons. No joy with Neptune though...Paul and I really went hunting for it too...maybe next time though. I did see Mars, and Syrtis Major at 146X, but for me the best of object of the night was the Andromeda Galaxy through Mick's binoculars. It was without a doubt the best view I've seen of it - thanks Mick!

And thanks again for those two booklets Paul. I had a look through them earlier and they're great!

Looking forward to meeting up again soon.

Clear skies to all, 

Darren.

More
1 year 5 months ago #111609 by flt158
Thank you, Darren. 
I'm wondering if we could meet up again next Friday night 25th November. 
The Moon will be precisely 2 days old in Sagittarius. 

By the way, I should have said that Mars' magnitude was -1.6 and its distance 83,521,730 kilometres from Earth. So it's getting nearer all the time. 

Clear skies from Aubrey. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
1 year 5 months ago #111611 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Hi Aubrey,

Very many thanks for that, and I'd be up for another trip to the Sugarloaf this Friday.

Clear skies 

Darren.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds