• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #13719 by Seanie_Morris
Vincent MacDonnell (TAS) R.I.P. was created by Seanie_Morris
Folks,
it is with deep sadness that I inform you that one of Tullamore Astronomical Society's most prominent members for a long time, Vincent MacDonnell, has passed away to eternal rest. He died on Sunday evening.

Vincent was with TAS almost from the beginning. He was Treasurer for 7 consecutive years. He loved talking about the constellations, and often gave talks on them as well as contributing many articles to the TAS Newsletter. He was there for the first look through the club's telescope, the first Irish Astrofest, the first sod-turning on the site, the formation of the Junior Section, among many other events. He loved the violin, and was also a prominent member of Tullamore Gramaphone Society, and the Tullamore Active Retirement Association.

I remember as a teenager when Vincent gave me many books on things like bird watching and science and astronomy. He liked to always see that youngs boys exploit science and nature as much as they could. I still have some of his books.

He was also a radio enthusiast, and sometimes I was given his World TV & Radio Handbooks, and I would trawl through SW radio bands to listen to stations around the world.

Removal from Tullamore General Hospital Mortuary takes place Wednesday evening at 6:30pm to Church of the Assumption, Tullamore. Funeral mass is at 12:30pm on Thursday, with procession to and burial in Clonminch Cemetary.

I know that many of you from other clubs have met Vincent before, or if you don't know him personally, you would recognise him from being our Treasurer at the Irish Astrofest among other events, and will agree that Vincent will be missed - may he rest in peace.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #13726 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Vincent MacDonnell (TAS) R.I.P.
That really is very very sad news. My condolances to his families and the many friends he had within TAS and further a field.

I myself have many fond memories from long and interesting conversations with Vincent over the course of many Cosmos's. There is no doubt that he will be sorely missed.

May he rest in peace.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 9 months ago #13951 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Remembering Vincent
I am very sad to hear of the passing of Vincent.

I have fond memories of Vincent from a Cosmos Weekend some years
when we visited the Durrow High Cross site. Vincent displayed a great
local knowledge about antiquties in the Co. Offaly area as well as objects in the heavens.

May he R.I.P. I think I can also speak on behalf of all those in the I.A.S.
who knew him.

John

More
18 years 9 months ago #13983 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
It's very sad when an 'old hand', the person everybody can relate to, passes away, it feels like there's a huge void left behind. I did not know him personally, but may he rest in peace. :(

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds