TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Report

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14935 by Seanie_Morris
TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Report was created by Seanie_Morris
As you are all aware, Friday nights weather did not play fair! However, we did have the barbeque till around 11:30pm, and then lit the campfire where we all just sat around, looking for gaps in the clouds, talking astronomy together. It was enjoyable. many thanks to those who did come out, including some new members from as far away as Portlaoise!

When the sky did give us some clear spells after midnight, we all saw some Perseids. Including one very bright one overhead just as the cloud cover cleared from that area - the first of the night! Sadly, the display didn't last. Rain came in around 1am, and those of us remaining either went home, or retired to our tents.
I myself was pretty mush awake for the whole night as it sounded like a mini hurricane swept over us! But, no tents gave way, and it seems everyone else slept pretty good! :x

In the morning, we re-lit the barbeque, turned on the gas cookers, and had some sausages and scrambled eggs for breakfast! :lol:

Most of us there are thinking of doing it again in the coming weeks, as it was fun, and we have our own space away from civilisation to do it!

Thanks to Michael O'Connell, Carthage Morrisey, & David Daly for helping to organise the event, and to everyone else for turning up. 8)

Clear Skies,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 8 months ago #14940 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Report
Isnt it amazing how the simple things in life can give us so much enjoyment. I'll bet even though the weather didnt play ball, you all had a great time and wont forget it in a long time.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 8 months ago #14949 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Report
That we did! Despite the wet eather and the wet sneakers and socks, it was still enjoyable. I'm pushing for a re-run in the coming weeks or few months, just for the adventure and lack of sleep! There's talk that TAS might even do this as a completely informal summer star party - just open the gates to the site, and let people bring their own food and camp over.

We'll wait and see.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #14961 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: TAS Perseids Star-B-Q Report
Sorry I didn't make it across Seanie. I wouldn't have been able to leave the house till 10, so when I looked outside at the rain I figured I might be better off staying put. Seems like I missed a great night though.

Looking forward to next year already.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds