K-Tec

The scariest thing you'll see this halloween!!!......

• lionsden
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 6 months ago #5343 by lionsden
Well Shane,

Can't disagree with anything there. Our beloved Mr. Moore is in a great position to do wonderful things for astronomy in Ireland, he just seems hell bent on making a quick buck. He seems to have no understanding of the concept of "repeat business"
It would be wonderful to have a full astronomy shop in Ireland where you could go, browse and talk to people with similar interests. I'm sure nobody here would begrudge the man a profit either, we understand that a shop has costs and overheads.
But geez...... come on, his margins are'nt "a profit", they're "rip off Ireland" at it's finest! Perhaps his turnover of telescopes is'nt much and he needs to make a large margin to cover costs. Does he realise that he would sell alot more if if his margins weren't so high?

David Moore, if you read this, WAKE UP! You are alienating a huge part of what should be your customer base! Give us reasonable prices! Open up and let your "club" join with the other clubs in the country who share our love of the skies.
Up till recently, you've been the public face of astronomy in Ireland, but it's changing. The other clubs are coming out of the darkness. You can't pretend to be the only club anymore!
It's time for change David. We'd all rather buy at home,....... if only we could!
David, it's up to you.

There's so much more I could say, but I'm running out of steam. (Nothing like a good rant now and again is there?)

By the way Shane, I'm not a teacher, just thought this would be a good time to use up the last of my holidays, what with the kids being at home...
........ and of course, the eclipse (arggggh!) :x :x .

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34719 by fguihen
i havnt bought a scope yet but while talking to astronomy ireland, they say they will match any price found elsewhere, taking into regard shipping and import tax costs. this seems pretty reasonable. the only thing i dont like about this arrangement is that they are trying to charge higher prices and only if you question it will you get the price lowered. they should be aiming to start off with the lowest prices, so you dont have to trawl through the web looking for prices that they will equal. but they are decent. think it was 950 euros they are asking for the celestron C6s with xlt coatings on an equoratial mount, which seems ok from what i see on the web. they do have ok prices, but you have to make a case to get them which is not good

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

More
17 years 6 months ago #34727 by Perseus
If you are thinking of spending 950euro on 6" celestron scope you might like to consider the 8" celestron I am selling for 400 euro.......... See Link

www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic....amp;highlight=#34688

It is not a go-to scope however it does have nearly double the light gathering power

More
17 years 6 months ago #34728 by fguihen
i saw that , but i really want the SCT. i dont have much room at all, so i need something a bit more compact. thanks all the same

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 6 months ago #34785 by DaveGrennan
Anyone reading this post should please note that this is a thread from 2004.

I think in the interests of fairness, I should point out that AI have removed all of their prices from their website and are now in a position to be much more competitive on price.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 6 months ago #34786 by albertw

Anyone reading this post should please note that this is a thread from 2004.

And folks, please don't drag up two year old posts in future. Especially ones that quote me :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds