K-Tec

ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD

More
11 years 1 month ago #96928 by stang
Replied by stang on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD
Hi- I know the weather has been awful but was just wondering how you were getting on with the camera? Would like an Irish perspective on it as have read countless reviews from guys in places like Arizona etc. whos skies are hardly comparable to ours!

I'm leaning towards the 460ex colour. I know I'll take a hit on quality over mono but I'm concerned I'll never finish an LRGB given our skies. If I only managed 20x5min subs before the clouds rolled in at least I'd have some data to work with if they were colour as opposed to just 20x5 green subs for example. If weather was no issue obviously I'd be going mono, I would really love to try some NB at some stage so would be very interested to know how the mono is working out for you. Thanks

Gareth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #96929 by wbean
Replied by wbean on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD
Very nice, Simon! Congratulations. Weather really has been awful lately

www.skelligstarparty.com
Live each week like it's space week!

OTA: WO 72mm Megrez, Skymax 127
Mount: HEQ5 Pro w/ EQMOD

BLOG: astronomybox.blogspot.com/

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 1 month ago #96930 by CarlightExpress
Replied by CarlightExpress on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD

stang wrote: Hi- I know the weather has been awful but was just wondering how you were getting on with the camera? Would like an Irish perspective on it as have read countless reviews from guys in places like Arizona etc. whos skies are hardly comparable to ours!

I'm leaning towards the 460ex colour. I know I'll take a hit on quality over mono but I'm concerned I'll never finish an LRGB given our skies. If I only managed 20x5min subs before the clouds rolled in at least I'd have some data to work with if they were colour as opposed to just 20x5 green subs for example. If weather was no issue obviously I'd be going mono, I would really love to try some NB at some stage so would be very interested to know how the mono is working out for you. Thanks

Haven't done anything with it yet except build my darks library, I am still waiting for the Baader 36mm unmounted filters, my supplier has my filter wheel ready, just waiting for the filters.

I plan to image using MaximDL, it has a filter wheel controller, where you specify for example:

Position 1: Luminance
Position 2: Red
Position 3: Green
Position 4: Blue
Position 5: HA
Position 6: OIII
Position 7: SII

So when I image, I can tell Maxim to do it sequentially, so if I want 25 exposures of RGB, it will do them as RGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGB....and so on

So at least I will have some data to work with too :)

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 1 month ago #96931 by CarlightExpress

wbean wrote: Very nice, Simon! Congratulations. Weather really has been awful lately

Weather isn't bothering me at the moment as I cannot image anyway due to lack of filters...lol

More
11 years 1 month ago #96932 by stang
Replied by stang on topic Re: ATIK 383L+ Mono CCD

CarlightExpress wrote:
So when I image, I can tell Maxim to do it sequentially, so if I want 25 exposures of RGB, it will do them as RGBRGBRGBRGBRGBRGB....and so on

So at least I will have some data to work with too :)

That's interesting, never thought of that as a possibility...Let's say the night only allows us 21x5 min subs, is the generally consensus that 7xR, 7xG & 7xB would give a better image than 21in colour?

Gareth

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
11 years 1 month ago #96933 by CarlightExpress

stang wrote: That's interesting, never thought of that as a possibility...Let's say the night only allows us 21x5 min subs, is the generally consensus that 7xR, 7xG & 7xB would give a better image than 21in colour?

You would be correct, with an OSC, you still have the Bayer Matrix which means there's more green pixels than red and blue, plus there's a better resolution from a Mono than an OSC. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some fantastic images with OSC cameras, Mono cameras aren't for everyone. Plus I plan on doing narrowband / hubble colours also

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds