K-Tec

Significant meteorite explosion over Chelyabinsk, Russia

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #96694 by dave_lillis
wow, this is an amazing stroke of luck, to happen over a country where for some mad reason so many people have cameras in their cars.
I'd bet there'll be alot of russian rocks for sale on ebay soon enough. :silly:

I find it hard to accept that this is a coincidence with the passing asteroid tonight, maybe this thing was in orbit around the asteroid, hence the non related looking path, who knows.
certainly very spectacular though

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by dave_lillis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 2 months ago #96695 by michaeloconnell
This event is not connected to 2012AD14, according to NASA:

www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/asteroidflyby.html

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #96696 by Fermidox

...to happen over a country where for some mad reason so many people have cameras in their cars.

The reason is explained here Dave:

www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/m...n-urals-live-updates

Why are there so many videos from people's cars?

Anyone who has ever seen one of those YouTube video compilations of terrifyingly dangerous Russian drivers will know that every Russian driver seems to have a camera mounted on his or her dashboard. But why?

An Animal blogpost by Marina Galperina explains:

In Russia, everyone should have a camera on their dashboard. It’s better than keeping a lead pipe under your seat for protection (but you might still want that lead pipe) ...

Psychopaths are abundant on Russian roads. You best not cut anyone off or undertake some other type of maneuver that might inconvenience the 200-pound, six-foot-five brawling children you see on YouTube hopping out of their SUVs with their dukes up ... These fights happen all the time and you can’t really press charges. Point to your broken nose or smashed windows all you want. The Russian courts don’t like verbal claims. They do, however, like to send people to jail for battery and property destruction if there’s definite video proof ...

Dash-cam footage is the only real way to substantiate your claims in the court of law. Forget witnesses. Hit and runs are very common and insurance companies notoriously specialize in denying claims. Two-way insurance coverage is very expensive and almost completely unavailable for vehicles over ten years old–the drivers can only get basic liability.

She adds that there are moments of humanity among the crashes, but basically "aside from the kindness of strangers, it’s just you and that little gadget versus the hell that is the other people on the road".

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Fermidox.

More
11 years 2 months ago #96711 by dave_lillis
looks like there was another meteor related explosion over cuba on friday morning, pity the roads there are safer then in russia.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 years 2 months ago #96714 by michaeloconnell
From Peter Brown:

"This is what I know as of 17 h UT today...

Feb 15, 2013 Fireball Event Summary

What follows are *initial* information gleaned for multiple instrumental sources recording various aspects of the Feb 15, 2013 airburst over Chelaybinsk, Russia (55.2N, 61.4E)

1. Time: The time of the main flare/airburst was 03:20:26 UT on Feb 15, 2013; the fireball began ablation about 30 secs before this time.

2. Based on the long duration of the event and videos, it is clear this was a very shallow entry (certainly less than 20 degrees, maybe more shallow).

3. It is *not* related to 2012 DA14

4. Energy: This is perhaps the hardest value to pin down so early in this investigation. From multiple sensors using multiple technologies a best initial estimate of the total energy of the event is about 300 kilotons of TNT equivalent = ~10^15 J). This could easily be in error by a factor of two. I am confident, however that it is in excess of 100 kTons, making it the largest recorded event since the 1908 Tunguska explosion.

5. Speed: The fireball entered the atmosphere at 18 km/s

6. Damage: The airblast clearly caused window breakage and light structural damage in downtown Chelaybinsk. The exact overpressure at which window failure occurs tends to be probabilistic and varies by construction design (ANSI S2.20, 1983). Normally some damage begins to occur around 500 Pa of overpressure, widespread window damage is expected to occur up to around ten-20 times this value. As the fireball had a shallow trajectory, the cylindrical blast wave would have propagated directly to the ground and would be expected to be intense. This could be further compounded by any fragmentation, quasi-spherical blasts. My impression is that the key here is that the terminal part of the fireball (probably between 15-20 km altitude) occurred almost directly over Chelaybinsk; this was perhaps the single greatest contributor to the blast damage (short range to the main part of the terminal detonation).

7. Comparators: The Sikhote-Alin fall (Feb 12, 1947) in the former Soviet Union was the equivalent of about 10 kilotons TNT, BUT as an iron impactor much of this energy was deposited at the ground rather than at altitude. The Oct 8, 2009 Indonesia event is the most recent similar event at about 50 kTons, but over the ocean (paper attached for quick reference).

8. Size: The pre-impacting asteroid was about 15 meters in diameter and had a mass of ~7000 tonnes.

I fully expect revision of some of the numbers above, particularly the estimate of the yield which could *easily* change by a factor of two upon more complete analysis and will likely change as the day progresses

/end
Dr. Peter Brown
Director - Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration
Canada Research Chair in Meteor Astronomy
Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
N6A 3K7
CANADA"

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 10 months ago #97890 by michaeloconnell
Got my Chelynabinsk meteorites today.

The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, Graham, Fermidox

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds