K-Tec

Essex County Council turning streetlights off

More
17 years 9 months ago #30643 by pmgisme
My local TD has just dropper a flyer in my letterbox listing, and boasting about, all the new streetlights "he" is going to put up in the rural Blarney area.
Most of them are unnecessary.
I'm replying to him,but its an uphill battle !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 9 months ago #30645 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Essex County Council turning streetlights off
Peter,
Ring the TD and tell him there is no poijnt using crappy lighting, he will be remembered for that, tell him about full cutt-off lighting, its better for the environment.
I saw a night time map of Ireland receintly, and you could see that alot of the roads in the 6 counties have lighting along many of the roads, the place was lit up like a christmass tree, if this happens down here, there will be hardly anywhere we could go for a dark site.

You have a big hill to climb.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 9 months ago #30646 by albertw

My local TD has just dropper a flyer in my letterbox listing, and boasting about, all the new streetlights "he" is going to put up in the rural Blarney area.
Most of them are unnecessary.
I'm replying to him,but its an uphill battle !

Can you pm me his address and perhaps send me a scan/pic of the flyer?

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 9 months ago #30655 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Essex County Council turning streetlights off
Peter,
it is unfortunate that a TD would probably use ignorance of some issues to further his own gain in others. I mean, more lightning no matter what is just silly. When you think about the lack of research done into street lighting, it has me baffled sometimes. You know when people in a more or less rural area with a lack of lighting request it for both protection and safety reasons when it becomes more built-up? Then, when annoying blaring sodium lamps are put in place, and they are more of a nuisance to those same locals? Little thought is put into the fact that they just want the road area adjacent/outside/next to their property lit up... not the whole local skyand their property! :x

You should perhaps highlight (no pun intended!) to this councillor the need for PROPER lighting. It dos not need to be a blatant-as-you-like letter, just something to bring to his atention some aspect he simply has not considerd yet - and could further his tally of votes in the next local elections! :D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
17 years 9 months ago #30663 by albertw

Peter,
it is unfortunate that a TD would probably use ignorance of some issues to further his own gain in others. I mean, more lightning no matter what is just silly.

It's the perception that more lighting = less crime.

Unfortunately for politicians that have not looked into this they go with the perception. In reality it seems that more light does not deter crime, if anything crime increases.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 9 months ago #30668 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

It's the perception that more lighting = less crime.

You bet Albert, a study in the uk came to the conclusion that with more lighting, more is visible to criminals, therefore = more crime

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds