K-Tec

Dealing with Streetlights

More
15 years 6 months ago #73713 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:Dealing with Streetlights
carl o beirnes wrote:It was only then I told the lads that I was an astronomer and they told me about your legal right to have the light deflected from your property. Interesting or what.[/quote]

Can you get me a legal reference or precedent for that? No one in any council or the DOE that I've spoken to is aware of it!

btw the article you mention was written by FOTIE with some input from me in advance of Earth Hour this year. Some of it needs updating I think.

as for the retrofits going on at the moment. Most are not FCO but are close (~1% ULOR). They are almost all compact flourescent. Low pressure sodium is history for the most part. The key issue for astronomers is skyglow not spectra thanks to the way that light scatters and how skyglow is created.

lunatic; the lights sound like the ongoing ESB retrofit has reached you; the ESB have been installing those for DLR for a couple of years now. I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the lights though.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 6 months ago - 15 years 6 months ago #73714 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re:Dealing with Streetlights
albertw wrote:

carl o beirnes wrote:It was only then I told the lads that I was an astronomer and they told me about your legal right to have the light deflected from your property. Interesting or what.

Can you get me a legal reference or precedent for that? No one in any council or the DOE that I've spoken to is aware of it

As I said he just told me about it. I didn't go looking for information on line ,If I ever see him again I will ask him about it.

Carl

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace
Last edit: 15 years 6 months ago by carlobeirnes.

More
15 years 6 months ago #73715 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:Dealing with Streetlights
carl o beirnes wrote:As I said he just told me about it. I didn't go looking for information on line ,If I ever see him again I will ask him about it.[/quote]

Cool. If you do manage to meet him again it would be very useful to know.

Cheers,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds