• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago #110895 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Top observations in 2021
Hello Keith. 

Would you believe S Aurigae is on my list?
I hope to observe it soon for the first time. 

We will always remember you for your absolute sensational observation of RS Ophiuchi for the rest of our days. 

Happy New Year to you, Keith!

Aubrey. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith g, Until_then-Goodnight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #110903 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Replied by Until_then-Goodnight! on topic Top observations in 2021
A very Happy New Year to you!

While I'm a bit late to the party as I've been sick as a dog for the past week, I've very much enjoyed reading your favourite observations from 2021. 

In terms of my own list, I have selected six from 34. 

Those six are:

An observation of a 'Petavius' from 21st November. I sketched this lunar crater at 250X . During this time the crater floor was covered in darkness, with only a hint of its central peak illuminated. Following the observation I discovered that 'Petavius' is part of the 'Lunar 100'. I was unaware of the Lunar 100 list prior to the observation, but I decided I would embark on trying to sketch each feature from the list over the coming years from that observation.

Number 5 was the splitting of Iota Cassiopeiae. The joy from this observation came from having to work for the 'B' component. For example, it wasn't until the seeing improved later in the evening that it revealed itself at 139X. I pushed the magnification to 250X and the colours of all three stars were lovely.  So, thanks a million Aubrey for that suggestion - it was a great call!

Another double star observation made it onto my list in 2021.  Again I've our double-star aficionado to thank for it. This time it was STF 45 / HIP 3045. Like my observation of Iota Cas, I was made work for this one. It was a mad night, and I captured the feeling of splitting it here:

Warning: Undefined variable $target in /home/web/ifasweb/www/components/com_kunena/template/aurelia/layouts/bbcode/url/default.php on line 32
> www.irishastronomy.org/kunena?view=topic&catid=21&id=101974

A special thanks goes to Finbarr for helping me to find STF designations in Stellarium - thanks Finbarr!

Number 3 on the list was an observation from March 25th when I sketched M81 and M82 from my back garden. This was my first time to see these galaxies in an eyepiece, and I was taken aback by the contrast in shapes.  Observing them at 37X and 139X meant both galaxies were in the same field of view - gorgeous sight - I can't even imagine what they must look like under a dark sky.

My second favourite observation(s) from 2021 was on the night of the 11th and 12th of August: The Perseid Meteor shower. Observing it from the Sugar Loaf and Trooperstown was something special. There was great fun to be had all round. Then at Trooperstown I managed to see M31 and the Double Cluster with the naked eye. I also managed to sketch the shower for a small period of time, but it was one of those occasions to simply sit back and enjoy the show. 

Top of my list comes from February 18th. I had set up my scope in the front garden to observe 'Perseverance' and 'Ingenuity' land on the surface of Mars. While I couldn't see the rover land on the 'Red' Planet, I was live streaming the event on a tablet next me. My wife and I shared those few exciting minutes as Perseverance touched-down. And to watch and listen to the amazing team in NASA describe that remarkable achievement live while I looked at Mars through the eyepiece was incredible. 

So that's my lot for 2021. Here's to many clear nights we'll share together in 2022.

All the best,

Darren.

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy, flt158

More
2 years 3 months ago #110905 by Fermidox
Replied by Fermidox on topic Top observations in 2021
Super list Darren. Thanks for your reports in '21, and your excellent sketches too. That was a nice idea to follow the Perseverance landing 'live' as it were, and the Lunar 100 project will keep you busy for quite a while I'd predict!

Clear skies for '22.

Finbarr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago #110906 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Very many thanks for your words Finbarr. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing your photos, and reading your updates on various objects throughout 2021.I particularly loved how you framed so many of objects in your images . And congrats again on 'bagging' more comets last year.

Clear skies, 
Darren. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158, Fermidox

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago #110909 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Top observations in 2021
So glad you are back with us, Darren. 

Your list of 2021 observations are utterly marvellous. 

I'm particularly pleased that both Iota Cassiopeiae and STF 45 made it on your list. 
And of course we all remember Mars too. 

Clear skies for 2022 from Aubrey. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Until_then-Goodnight!

• Until_then-Goodnight!
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #110910 by Until_then-Goodnight!
Great to hear from you Aubrey, and I'm delighted to be back contributing this great forum again.

One of things I'll remember from 2021 was you reaching your 100th Carbon star. What a great achievement that was. 

I wonder what's in store for us all over the next 12 months. 

Clear skies, 

Darren. 
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Until_then-Goodnight!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flt158

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds