K-Tec

do you guys check the sky at all hours of the night?

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 months ago #61771 by fguihen
I occasionally see some folks on this board posting about how seeing or clouds cleared up at 3 am and they got some great observing time.

usually when I go to bed its cloudy and I dont get up every hour to check the sky conditions. Id never get any sleep. Do you guys ( you know who im talking about) set an alarm and check the sky each hour, or have you sensors installed to detect clear skies and wake you or how do you manage it?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61777 by jeyjey
I find it hard enough to check the skies every hour or so before I go to bed.

Just two nights ago it was completely overcast at 9PM. I happened to notice the humidistat in the kitchen read 42% at about 11PM. I thought --that's weird, it's usually well above 50% when it's cloudy.

Sure enough, it wasn't cloudy anymore. I don't normally start that late so I was only out for about 2 hours -- but the transparency was better than it's been in months (NELM 6+, SQM 20.8), so it was well-worthwhile.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
16 years 3 months ago #61778 by Seanie_Morris
Sometimes if the forecast is for a better morning (after) than evening, I will set my alarm if there is something exceptional worth keeping an eye out for. Don't forget, with the changing hours during a Winter's night - which can last for about 11 hours for us - the sky will look completely different between duck and dawn. Planets rising before the Sun, southern constellations only getting a couple hours observing, and so on.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61779 by Calibos
Well in my case, I usually work afternoon/evening shifts so can generally only start observing from about 11pm at the earliest. If its cloudy I'll be in bed by 2am. If its clear, I'll be out observing till 2 or 3am. Neighbours must think I am mad! If one ever sees me commenting about sky conditions at such a late/early hour as 5am its not generally because I was still up or observing at that hour but more likely that one of the dogs wanted to be let outside for a wee!! :D

This very thing happened on Wednesday 5am. I looked out, the skies were clear and I didn't recognise the stars in the sky!! Well I did recognise them but just hadn't seen them since last Summer. It was the constellation Hercules and the star Arcturus high in the SW and Vega and the Northern Cross (Cygnus) over the neighbours roof.

I was sorely tempted to get dressed and get out the scope. Then I saw sense and went back to bed. These can wait till the late Spring when they'll be up at a slightly less crazy hour!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 3 months ago #61790 by philiplardner

Do you guys ( you know who im talking about) set an alarm and check the sky each hour, or have you sensors installed to detect clear skies and wake you or how do you manage it?

Much simpler explanation (and possibly slightly accurate!) - These posts get sent in the wee hours after there's been a marital spat and he's been kicked out to sleep in the observatory with the cat while she's upstairs in a warm cosy bed in a self-righteous huff! Nothing for it but to do some observing :D

Phil

More
16 years 3 months ago #61869 by Frank Ryan
The way I approach it is thus.
If it's clear and good I'll stay up and observe.
Even if that means no sleep.
Sleep can be bought back.
clear skies can't.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds