K-Tec

do you guys check the sky at all hours of the night?

More
16 years 3 months ago #61938 by philiplardner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61954 by eansbro
Frank,

I would concur with Dave. If you want to do 200 images a night and efficiently image in the shortest amount of time then go robotic. I have been robotic nearly 3 years. The amount of time its saved me in going to multiple targets, automated plate solving on the hoof, imaging in different filter bands, automating the flats, kick in automated focussing every half an hour, processing, storing on a data base. closing the building.

I originally did this manually. It was complex procedure. I had to think very efficiently with far less imaging and was exhausted after the session.

Eamonn A
MPC J62
www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
16 years 3 months ago #61985 by Frank Ryan
ok.
Hands up I'm beat.
Obviously 'clear sky' sensors have their place here.
I guess the point I was trying to make (badly)
was that I'd much prefer to have a
'There may be clouds in a few hours' sensor
rather than a
'It's clear now! Quick! run out and observe while you have the chance!' - sensor

:D

(Thats just me daydreaming about living in Arizona.)

Dave / Eamonn
Yer set ups sound impressive!
How much automation are we talking about here?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 3 months ago #61991 by johnomahony

Do you guys ( you know who im talking about) set an alarm and check the sky each hour, or have you sensors installed to detect clear skies and wake you or how do you manage it?

Much simpler explanation (and possibly slightly accurate!) - These posts get sent in the wee hours after there's been a marital spat and he's been kicked out to sleep in the observatory with the cat while she's upstairs in a warm cosy bed in a self-righteous huff! Nothing for it but to do some observing :D

Phil

:lol:
Nothing like a minor disagreement when the forecast is looking good :wink:

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 3 months ago #61994 by eansbro
Frank,

The 0.4m telescope is 100 per cent robotic. I remember the first time that the whole system was robotized, it was a disconcerting feeling because the relationship was at one time one of codependency, now this observatory has a life of its own

The 0.9m is 98 per cent robotic. Although close to robotization, the last piece of the puzzle is the handshake with a wind sensor, not a cloud sensor.
I normally prefer to be in the warm room cabin next to the telescope operations. The place has a life of its own, a different environment.
It will be a sad day when it goes 100 per cent robotic.

Eamonn A

More
16 years 3 months ago #62005 by albertw

Do you guys ( you know who im talking about) set an alarm and check the sky each hour, or have you sensors installed to detect clear skies and wake you or how do you manage it?

God no. Any of my nocturnal posts are because I just happen to still be up. The only times I'll get out of bed are if JohnF texts about an aurora or Ronan texts about some epic NLC display!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds