K-Tec

Exoplanet transit of TrES-3 attempted tonight

More
16 years 1 month ago #66659 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Exoplanet transit of TrES-3 attempted tonight
PS. By the way, HAT-P-3 in UMa may be of interest with a depth of around 14 mmag. It is seasonal and certainly worth a try right now since it is perfectly placed.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #66660 by dmcdona
Anthony - are you using a RED filter, as in RGB? I'm sure that's fine by the way - especially if you use a few comparison stars to average out any differences...

I used R as in BVRI :D

By the way, to help you out a little, use these comparisons - I found them the four most stable in my FOV (25*25 arcmin):

1. GSC 2620:526
2. GSC 3089:995
3. GSC 3089:883
4. GSC 3089:1137

There are other you can use but they might be less stable or out of your FOV:

GSC 262:280
GSC 262:28
GSC 3089:741
GSC 3089:1211
GSC 262:301
GSC 262:391

More
16 years 1 month ago #66661 by dmcdona

HAT-P-3 in UMa may be of interest

That's one to add to the list for sure - thanks for the tip!

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 1 month ago #66699 by eansbro
Hi Dave, Mike and Anthony,

Unfortunately I don't have my astro material to hand to respond in more detail as I have been in Japan the last 10 days and will be here for another 12.

Dave, we'll need to process your images again. I agree with you the light curve will require some corrections. I'll contact you offline when I am back.

As Dave and Mike knows we got a dip on HD17156b from the 19th March last. This exoplanet is challenging because of the magnitude and the slight dip. (0.0003 mag). The light curve was shown at COSMOS 2 weeks ago. I had shown it to two astronomers at RAS NAM Belfast, because of the ingress was early by 4 minutes. However, If this is the case it may indicate the conjunction of another planet 'c'. More data is required.

It would be good to try monitoring this exoplanet transit again as soon as possible for to confirm or dismiss the early ingress. However, this may take a number of transits. It would be extremely useful Anthony if you could carry out the next appropriate transit from your location. If 'c' is truely indicating that it is there, then it may be still in the vicinity.

Regarding filters, it is more useful scientifically to use an R band from the UBVRI photometric system. Just using R from RGB filter bands is not as useful because of other correlations required for a truer fit.

Mike has MIRA AP and may be in a position to carry out processing of your images. Also when I get back from Japan, I would like to try processing with MIRA PRO.

Eamonn A
MPC J62
www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #66721 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Exoplanet transit of TrES-3 attempted tonight

Anthony - are you using a RED filter, as in RGB? I'm sure that's fine by the way - especially if you use a few comparison stars to average out any differences...

I used R as in BVRI :D

I do indeed use my imaging filters and I have been very successful in producing clean smooth light curves ( www.perseus.gr/Astro-Photometry.htm ).

the way, to help you out a little, use these comparisons - I found them the four most stable in my FOV (25*25 arcmin):

1. GSC 2620:526
2. GSC 3089:995
3. GSC 3089:883
4. GSC 3089:1137

I was indeed planning to use (3) and (4) from the above list, for the magnitudes are virtually identical to TrES-3 and the spectrum also seems to be identical as well (no issues with air mass).

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 4 weeks ago #66722 by ayiomamitis

It would be extremely useful Anthony if you could carry out the next appropriate transit from your location. If 'c' is truely indicating that it is there, then it may be still in the vicinity.

My first opportunity is as early as Saturday evening. I will capture a full hour pre-ingress as well as another hour post-engress so as to have some really good data. I have additional opportunities coming up including a few days thereafter (May 2/08).

Regarding filters, it is more useful scientifically to use an R band from the UBVRI photometric system. Just using R from RGB filter bands is not as useful because of other correlations required for a truer fit.

I agree with you fully. I posted an ad on Astromart for a complete set a few weeks ago but had no replies. Also, Schuler increased their price dramatically recently (from $59 to $89 for each filter).

Mike has MIRA AP and may be in a position to carry out processing of your images. Also when I get back from Japan, I would like to try processing with MIRA PRO.

I will calibrate my laptop to the Atomic Clock over the Internet so that we have very precise time estimates and, of course, will pursue a full set of dark and flat frames for reduction.

I will be using the RED filter in lieu of the full moon tomorrow.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds