More sketches

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #71152 by donalmcnamara
More sketches was created by donalmcnamara
With the weather the way it is, I scanned in some more sketches I had previously completed. The down side to this activity is that I have been unable to take on board the comments from my last posting. So if you can tolerate me again.

M3
I always find clusters difficult to sketch but here is my first attempt at M3 from last year.
The details are:
M3 CVn
2340 UT 19 April 2007
C9.25 F10 SCT 25 mm PL
Mag 6.4 16 Arc min

www.flickr.com/photos/28157168@N04/2645736331/
I did manage to observe M3 once in early June this year with a Hyperion Eyepiece, but never got around to sketching it. The contrast and detail looked so different or maybe I am seeing more now than when I completed the sketch last year. Well worth another sketch if the clouds part.

And the second is M63.
www.flickr.com/photos/28157168@N04/2646565304/

(Appologies, I have figured out N/S on my more recent sketches, but dont have it on these ones)

Regards
Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #71154 by jeyjey
Replied by jeyjey on topic Re: More sketches
Donal --

Nice job! I find globulars one of the harder things to sketch.

BTW: if Flickr gives you URLs for just the images then you can include them directly in your report by placing them inside img tags:
[code:1]Text of the report...

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatever[/img]

... more text...

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/another image[/img]

... etc. ....
[/code:1]
Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
15 years 10 months ago #71156 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: More sketches
Nice Donal, I really like M3, I have to admit, as a sketching newbie, the thoughts of sketching globulars makes me a little nervous, any tips? :D

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 10 months ago #71162 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re: More sketches

The contrast and detail looked so different or maybe I am seeing more now than when I completed the sketch last year.

Well done on these sketches, if you were looking and are observing with a view to sketching then you will be seeing more. Sketching improves your observation of just about anything. In particular astronomical observation.
Sketching through the eyepiece is a challenge ,sketching globular and open clusters takes quite a bit of looking.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

• donalmcnamara
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 10 months ago #71171 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re: More sketches
Dont know if I am experienced enough to give tips, but this is what has helped me so far.

There are some very good postings on Cloudy Nights along with some tutorials. ie G Perez for example.

Dont forget the local help. I always like to look at other peoples drawaings and try and figure out why they see more. Jeff's drawings here are a wonderful reference. Dee is a great resource also.

Make a sketch and compare it to the eye piece view when you think you are finished. Its amazing what you can miss, or more usually now in my case, what I have in the wrong position when you think you are finished.

In summary its a discipline that becomes easier with practice.
Donal

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds