A bollide worthy of its own thread?

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 7 months ago #73509 by Seanie_Morris
A bollide worthy of its own thread? was created by Seanie_Morris
Well, I think so. Around 00:18hrs, I spotted this fantastic bollide (fireball) come through the atmosphere. At first, I thought to myself "Gee, I wonder if that's the guy Dave MacDonald has been keeping folks abreast with on the boards" (OK, maybe not in those words...). It turns out that it wasn't. The object I saw came later.

Anyway, as I was driving, this thing came into the atmosphere below Perseus, travelled down along Auriga and went past the heads of Gemini. Burned bright white-green in colour, though tinges of orange fizzed in the resulting tail. Solid, no breaks, fast but somewhat slower than 'normal' in speed. Estimated magnitude of about -6 or -7. Length of path travelled around 30 to 35 degrees.

I reckon it could have left a shadow on the ground had I been in a dark place out of the vehicle (and I have seen THAT before... WOW!).

Anyone else spot it? I stopped the vehicle and had a look for another minute to see if any following debris might burn up, but nothing.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds