M82 from a 16inch Meade in Kildare

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 5 months ago #74977 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:M82 from a 16inch Meade in Kildare
Thanks a lot everybody, just warming up before I have to head for Dunsink and our last speaker of 2008. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing but Venus was so so good.

Deirdre Kelleghan
President IAS
PRO IFAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #75105 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:M82 from a 16inch Meade in Kildare
jeyjey wrote:

Michael --

That Moonlight adapter is quite a bit shorter than the Starlight Instruments one, and the whole setup is quite a bit shorter than my Van Slyke was. I'd guess you're at 4200mm to 4250mm.

As you say, though, the only real way to know is to time a star drift or compare fields to a planetarium program.

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

I took a look at the Moon this evening with the 22mm nagler and compared the FOV to Virtual Lunar Atlas.
I reckon the focal length of the scope is approx. 4,350mm with the diagonal and Moonlite focuser in place.

If I position a Celestron f/6.3 focal reducer between the eyepiece and diagonal, I get the equivalent of approx 3,730mm focal length.
This is equivalent to using a Nagler of 25.6mm focal length with just the diagonal and Moonlite focuser.

Alternatively, If I position the Celestron f/6.3 focal reducer between the diagonal and Moonlite focuser, the focal length becomes approx. 1870mm
This is equivalent to using a Nagler of 51mm focal length with just the diagonal and Moonlite focuser.

Alternatively, if I position the Celestron f/6.3 focal reducer in the scope-end of the drawtube of the Moonlite focuser, the focal length reduces down even more.
However, the image quality also degrades significantly and so I wouldn't use it for obserbing with a diagonal and eyepiece in this configuration.
May be more appropriate with just a camera on the back (no diagonal) in this configuration.

Interesting how the focal length can change so much in a SCT depending on the optical and other accessories which are used.

Michael.
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds