K-Tec

From Sunday Nov 30th - Unusually high meteor count?

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 5 months ago #75056 by Seanie_Morris
After talking to some TAS members at last nights meeting, I thought it might be no harm to extend my query to here. In truth I should have done it anyway!

On Sunday night last (30th) I was out observing in my backyard after 22:10hrs. I had the Skylux out on my own for a while before my wife Deirdre came out with hot chocolates and we laid back on camping chairs for a while. In all, the observing 'session' was about 50 minutes. During that time between us in total we saw 12 meteors. Personally, I counted 9, with 7 of them that had me wondering. 3 fell from the Cygnus direction (one was a fabulous c. -3 to -4 soft yellow fizzler) heading downwards, 3 from the right of the Square of Pegasus heading towards Cygnus, and 1 traversed the square east to west. The 3 Cygnids could be traced back to Pegasus. I wondered if there is a little known shower in the area of sky at this time of year that we don't know of (I can't find much online so far), or just pure coincidence.

I also ask my fellow observers here if any of you over the past couple of clear nights whether you noticed any meteor activity from this area of sky? I'd like to know your observations out of curiosity.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #75057 by EPK
I was out about a month ago, and there were about the same number, and many of them from that region.
They'd still probably be classed as sporadics...some nights it just gets like that, Seanie.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
15 years 5 months ago #75077 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:From Sunday Nov 30th - Unusually high meteor count?
True, and the imagination can't help but feel spontaneously like you're the only person seeing them, and have discovered a new shower! I have seen sporadic bursts before, they are nice to see. Takes the boredom out of an otherwise eventless night. Now, if I also had a radio telescope at the same time... ;)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds