K-Tec

Full moon at perigee, its noticably bigger, go out and look.

More
15 years 5 months ago #75263 by johnflannery
No, no Geminids over the weekend Seanie ... was in the local pub in Dromineer with my Dad on Saturday night :)

That's an interesting observation Jeff. I said exactly the same to my sister and her kids when we were on our way back to Dublin. The rising Moon was directly ahead of us at the time when on the road back to Dublin last night. It looked amazing and before we saw the Moon the whole cloud bank which it was briefly behind was bathed in a yellowish glow. Very atmospheric.

All the best,

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #75399 by ayiomamitis
Dave_Lillis wrote:

anyone else see it ?
a pity we didnt know of this before hand.

Dave,

You are making me feel guilty for not posting a heads-up. To make matters worse (seriously), this was the largest perigee full moon for the period 1993-2016!

I was fortunate to capture it thanks to a suckerhole: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Cycle-D15.htm ... this is my only opportunity at any imaging the past month due to the weather. I suspect Mr Morris is sending lots of clouds and rain my way. ;)

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by ayiomamitis.

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 4 months ago #75432 by dave_lillis
Nice shot Anthony, as for the weather, its been surprisingly not so bad over here.

I have to say I was stunned by its apparent size in the sky, the maria were easier to see, it wasn't just a case of a bigger disk. I just sat there and looked at it for a while.:)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 4 months ago #75442 by stepryan
ayiomamitis wrote:

Dave_Lillis wrote:

anyone else see it ?
a pity we didnt know of this before hand.

Dave,

You are making me feel guilty for not posting a heads-up. To make matters worse (seriously), this was the largest perigee full moon for the period 1993-2016!

I was fortunate to capture it thanks to a suckerhole: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Lunar-Cycle-D15.htm ... this is my only opportunity at any imaging the past month due to the weather. I suspect Mr Morris is sending lots of clouds and rain my way. ;)

Anthony.

well anthony,
i can gaurntee you if mr morris has been up to that he has really been slacking in his job ;) . considering the current economic situation he really needs to pick it up.

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #75447 by ayiomamitis
stepryan wrote:

well anthony,
i can gaurntee you if mr morris has been up to that he has really been slacking in his job ;) . considering the current economic situation he really needs to pick it up.

Every winter I pull my hair due to the poor weather and serious downtime and it seems each winter finds a way to be worst than the previous one.

What adds insult to injury is the fact that that nights are appreciably longer (10-12 hrs) and one loses a huge window of opportunity thanks to those damn clouds.

Something that has crossed my mind is spending winters down under where they have their summer ... with Orion, Monoceros, Canis Major/Minor etc literally overhead and not to mention the much richer sky in general.

Anthony O'mamitis.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by ayiomamitis.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds