K-Tec

Celestron 114gt Nexstar

More
19 years 10 months ago #3399 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Celestron 114gt Nexstar
Just on the topic of gotos and deep sky photography.

The goto and drives are really just for finding and tracking objects visually and doing short (less than a minute) exposures. The better your polar alignment the longer you can get away with.

For long exposure work you really need to have the controller and drives capable of doing accurate guiding and correction, and thats expensive.

The only deep sky photography I've ever done (and I havent done much) is with a regular SLR, though my Fujica camera doesnt have a lock up mirror which is tricky to work around. Focusing is also tricky and exposures of more than a minute begin to show trails, but its ok for the brighter objects.

If you want tracking but not necessarily the goto, someone may be able to advise of a scope and mount that only has the motors and basic controls, this would probably save a few euro to put into a bigger mirror. I dont actually use the goto on my meade to find objects, just to move the scope!

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• StephenK
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor
  • IFAS Sponsor
More
19 years 10 months ago #3400 by StephenK
Replied by StephenK on topic .
A friend of mine has an Optrons 8" reflector. He is in Limerick though so I cant see it. I have never heard of this make before. His Father got it for him, but I dont thimk he has the interest anymore. Has anyone seen or used one of these. Thanks for the advice, I will look into the dobsonians.

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

More
19 years 10 months ago #3409 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Celestron 114gt Nexstar
Hi Stephen,
I had a look on the web for the 114g nexstar and in the space of about 2 minutes found it in the US for $338.14 dollars, and givin the current exchange rate, that work out as 279.04 euros, not including shipping. the site is

www.afolders.com/cameras/Computerized/af...11p1.htm?n=281063cat

Dont get ripped off. !!! I'd seriously advise that you try and meet up with someone who has this scope already, otherwise you might be greatly dissapointed.

As for the optron, try and get a look through it at a star, if you can get a sharp focus then its worth seroiusly going for.

Good hunting.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds