K-Tec

Is mine a large one or a small one?

More
19 years 2 months ago #9635 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Is mine a large one or a small one?
Lads,
Anyone with a 300D and etx can get this, I didnt do anyhting special to get it.
I took this in Crecora at Con Bs house (thanks Con), about 10 miles south of the city, glow still visible to the north, but not a problem. No filters were used, but I did do abit of processing in photoshop, this is not cropped or joined so this is the real filed of view.

I used altaz mode, but it worked out pretty well.
Keep in mind that I've about 15 other shots that didnt work, either the tracking screwed up, or the exposure was too long/short or the focus was slightly out, not exactly efficient but if I get one good image, then I'm happy. :P

I havent seen a DSI camera up close, what size is the chip?
Using the above image, it would be simple to figure out roughly what size of this field of view it would get.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #9754 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Is mine a large one or a small one?
Hi Dave - the DSI chip (physical size) is 5.59mm x 4.68mm. But I guess the fov is determined more by focal length. I use the CCD calculator by Ron Wodaski to figure out what the boundaries of a shot will be with the DSI.

Next time I'm out with the DSI I'll use the ETX70 and take a shot of M42. I'm not sure what size of image I'll get...

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 2 months ago #9777 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Is mine a large one or a small one?
Dave,
I'd imagine you'll get a narrower field, of view, but that wouldn't be hard as the above image cought most of the sword of orion.
looking foward to it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 months ago #9816 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Is mine a large one or a small one?

One thing you need to know is......
If you put the canon in the eyepiece holder (using the flip mirror) then the field of view is barely enough for the moon, there was also noticable field curvature.
If you use the direct method (using proper adapters) I find you get a much wide field of view, something like 3 or 4 times wider with less distortion.

Very true, however I found that with a 300D attached to the rear of the etx using the correct t ring, you cant raise the scope much above 30 degrees before the camera hits the base of the scope.

What I do is lock the ETX in the home position then I mount the whole thing (base and all) on my GEM (EQ6) mount. Now I dont have to worry about the camera banging off the base and also the tracking is polar aligned rather than altaz. I use the mount to track of course. I only got to try this once and got a semi decent shot of the double cluster in perseus (which I'll post later on)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds