K-Tec

My new Steel Pier....Finally

More
10 years 8 months ago #98367 by stang
Replied by stang on topic Re: My new Steel Pier....Finally

martinus wrote: They can be dried out in a conventional oven.

Thanks for that- didn't know that- will give it a try although my particular ones are in a plastic covering so I'm a little skeptical- I'll be popular at home if I melt them all over the oven!

Marto wrote: And on the point about time under the stars... that's the crucial thing - time. I find that making your hobbies easy to access is a recipe for happiness. If that means the odd rusty bolt.... I'm not dissuaded.

Couldn't agree more- once the clouds part you gotta be out there!

Well this thread is well and truly off topic now Simon!! Sorry about that--Congrats on the pier! ;)

Gareth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #98369 by martinus
Replied by martinus on topic Re: My new Steel Pier....Finally
Sorry, I was referring to the beads that one gets in fabric pouches or the chalky tablets.

There's a bit more info on reactivating the gel here: www.desican.ca/html/silica-gel-indicating-type.html

Those desiccant caps can be cheaply made by piercing the bottom of a 35mm film can full of holes using a darning needle and pouring silica beads in. Cheap and effective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stang, yohan

More
10 years 8 months ago #98378 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: My new Steel Pier....Finally
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi,

You can get bags of re-activateable silica gel on ebay pretty cheaply. e.g. Not all silica can be reused I don't think, but the beads in that link for example change colour when they are saturated with moisture and can be reactivated in a regular oven. How often you need to reactivate will depend on how free from moisture you keep your equipment in the first place.

The quotes I got for the pier I was planning for the observatory were ridiculous! Buying the steel and a welder and taking a welding course would have been cheaper than what one place quoted me! Your setup looks really well Simon.

Best Wishes,
~Albert

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: stang

• CarlightExpress
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
10 years 8 months ago #98381 by CarlightExpress

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds