Americans going to Mars!

• spculleton
  • Topic Author
  • Super-Nova
  • Super-Nova
More
20 years 3 months ago #1776 by spculleton
Americans going to Mars! was created by spculleton
I just saw this piece on the Yahoo headlines. makes interesting reading. Is it a re-election ploy, or the sign of genuine interest in SCIENTIFIC exploration of the solar system? Time will tell I guess.

uk.news.yahoo.com/040109/325/eiotu.html

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1777 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Americans going to Mars!
Hi Shane.

Bush's review on the future of space flight has been in the works for the past 2 years, and given a lot more focus by the loss of Columbia last February. This announcement has been awaited for a while, there was speculation that he'd announce it at Kitty Hawk last month, personally, it's more likely to come out at the State of the Union address at the end of January. Don't think it'll purely be a scientific exploration, spinoffs for military applications are likely too, but that's always been the way in the US space program. Quite a lot more detail can be found at Keith Cowing's excellent NASA Watch website www.nasawatch.com

Clear skies.

Brian

More
20 years 3 months ago #1778 by BrianOHalloran
Replied by BrianOHalloran on topic Re: Americans going to Mars!
Directly lifted from NASA Watch - guess I should have read it before replying! Next Wednesday is the day!

Brian

# 8 January 2004: UPI Exclusive: Bush OKs new moon missions, By Frank Sietzen Jr. and Keith L. Cowing, United Press International

"American astronauts will return to the moon early in the next decade in preparation for sending crews to explore Mars and nearby asteroids, President Bush will propose next week as part of a sweeping reform of the U.S. space program.

To pay for the new effort -- which would require a new generation of spacecraft but use Europe's Ariane rockets and Russia's Soyuz capsules in the interim -- NASA's space shuttle fleet would be retired as soon as construction of the International Space Station is completed, senior administration sources told United Press International.

The visionary new space plan would be the most ambitious project entrusted to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration since the Apollo moon landings of three decades ago. It commits the United States to an aggressive and far-reaching mission that holds interplanetary space as the human race's new frontier."
# 8 January 2004: NASA plans return to moon, By Frank Sietzen Jr. and Keith L. Cowing, Washington Times

"According to senior administration sources, in the weeks following the Feb. 1 Columbia accident, President Bush met or conferred with NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe on an almost daily basis. What had been a persistent interest on the part of the President in space had now become much more focused.

Specifically, his interest has centered on NASA's recovery and its future. Mr. Bush was not interested, however, in just throwing money at this. Rather, he was looking to lay out a more definitive plan for NASA and America's civil space program. As such, these discussions evolved over the spring and into the summer to become a more focused and structured review of potential new space goals. The end result of that process is embodied in the policy Mr. Bush has now approved."

Editor's note: The announcement will be made by President Bush at NASA Headquarters next wednesday.

More
20 years 3 months ago #1793 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Mars+Bush
Probably another ELECTION gimmick
We have them in this country also
Charles
(still reckon the one way ticket is ths job) :-)

More
20 years 3 months ago #1796 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Americans going to Mars!
Forgive me for being sceptical but I remain convinced that this is just another election ploy.

I hope to be proved wrong!

Bart B.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
20 years 3 months ago #1797 by jhonan
Replied by jhonan on topic Re: Americans going to Mars!
It's not a ploy. They have to send a manned mission to Mars to search for WMD there... :roll:

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds