ARTI - A Radio Telescope for Ireland

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #44798 by Mike
Hi everyone

Just a question relating to “ARTI” – “A Radio Telescope for Ireland” project which was proposed to be situated in the grounds of Birr Castle Co. Offaly, does anyone know the current status of this project?

I looked at the project website www.arti.ie/proposal.php but the latest information that can be accessed is from May 17th 2004; (I cannot access the 2005 meeting minutes) has there been any meetings since then, anyone in “the know”?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #44801 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: ARTI - A Radio Telescope for Ireland
Bit of smoke and mirrors last I heard. No plans yet to go ahead with it, the quoted costs were very high, though other locations in Ireland were suggested and lower figures were mentioned. Then there was something about the scientific community not being completely behind it instead thinking that a better use of the money would be to have Ireland join the ESO. Its been quite a while since I've heard anything about the project.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 3 weeks ago #44802 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic ARTI
Thanks Albert,
That’s a pity; I thought it a very worthwhile project myself. I was just looking back at some of the excellent astronomy e-mail news bulletins that Terry Moseley issues, this one is from October 25th 2006 relating to “ARTI”…

“JOB VACANCY: Project Fundraiser,
A Radio Telescope for Ireland (Contract Post) College of Science, Engineering & Food Science.
ARTI - A Radio Telescope for Ireland - is a 12M€ Project to construct and equip a 32m radio telescope for research and educational use in the Birr Castle Demesne. The ARTI Consortium is comprised of 11 academic institutions in Ireland and the UK.”

I am not sure if this post has been filled, if it has then the responsible person is very quite as I have heard nothing about this project lately in astronomy circles. It appears that all is “radio quite” on this project!

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 3 weeks ago #44821 by ctr
Why not drop Dr. Denise C. Gabuzda a line to check on the project?

gabuzda@phys.ucc.ie

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds