George Dyson: Let's take a nuclear-powered rocket to Saturn

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
16 years 2 months ago #63110 by albertw
Just gone up on the TED website:

George Dyson tells the amazing story of Project Orion, a massive, nuclear-powered spacecraft that could have taken us to Saturn in five years. With a priceless insider's perspective and a cache of documents, photos and film, Dyson brings this dusty Atomic Age dream to vivid life.

www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/221

If you like that you'll like this too. It's been up there for a while now though so many of you will have seen it already.

www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/141

Bill Stone, the maverick cave explorer who invented robots and dive equipment that have allowed him to plumb Earth's deepest abysses, explains his efforts to build a robot to explore Jupiter's moon Europa. The plan is to send the machine to bore through miles of ice and swim through a liquid underworld that may harbor alien life. And if that's not enough, he's also planning to mine lunar ice by 2015.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #63188 by voyager
those are some seriously inspiring videos. Particularly the second one. Thanks for pointing them out!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 2 months ago #63189 by Tonybwf
Thats intresting viewing alright.....something worth keeping an eye on him and his explorations....id say its weird being so far down rather then being so far up!!

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 2 months ago #63191 by voyager

Thats intresting viewing alright.....something worth keeping an eye on him and his explorations....id say its weird being so far down rather then being so far up!!

"this picture is us two days from the entrance" - that just blew my mind. It takes a very special person to be able to handle a situation like that. I think I'd panic long before that.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds