K-Tec

Someone forgot to turn on Channel A on Titan!

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
19 years 3 months ago #8403 by Seanie_Morris
Someone forgot to turn on Channel A on Titan! was created by Seanie_Morris
Its just one of those stories you don't want to hear!

David Atkinson spent 18 years designing an experiment for the unmanned space mission to Saturn. Now some pieces of it are lost in space. Someone forgot to turn on the instrument Atkinson needed to measure the winds on Saturn's largest moon.

"The story is actually fairly gruesome," the University of Idaho scientist said in an e-mail from Germany, the headquarters of the European Space Agency. "It was human error - the command to turn the instrument on was forgotten."

Full Story Here

Poor guy!

Seanie :cry:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #8404 by spudnik
but at least all is not lost.

Apparently ground based telescopes here on earth picked up the signal and theyll be able to piece it together.......

But that data will be available given the global response of radio astronomers to Huygens, said Leonid Gurvits, head of the team that coordinated the 18 primary telescopes in Australia, China, Japan, the United States and Europe. "We will get the same scientific result, it will just take a little longer," Gurvits said

phew 8)

"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine" Sir Arthur Eddington

More
19 years 3 months ago #8412 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Someone forgot to turn on Channel A on Titan!
I think he came across as very calm considerng what happened, I'd be after someones neck :x

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds