New version of Stellarium released

• mykc
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 2 months ago #83796 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re:New version of Stellarium released
After rooting around on the Stellarium support pages I found a partial fix for the bugs. Simply editing the [main] section of the config.ini file to specify:

use_glshaders = false

solves most of the problems I was having and allows it to run under Vista on my MacBook Pro :) . Apparently, this command solves some issue with the video card driver.

The satellite plugin is working and Stellarium transparently retrieves data from the web, and shows geostationary and "moving" (I don't know the technical term) satellites. It also gives some basic information about them. I'll try the telescope control plugin tomorrow, some users on Stargazers Lounge report that it works well. I have been using Astroplanner for telescope control, but the possibility of using the nice Stellarium interface is appealing, especially to a skinflint who loves free software.

Mike

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mykc
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 2 months ago #83803 by mykc
A new Mac version :) (0.10.4) is now posted on the "older releases" part of the Stellarium site.

sourceforge.net/projects/stellarium/files/Stellarium-macOSX/

It runs fine on my MacBook Pro under Leopard, with none of the glitches that afflicted the Windows version, though it seems a little less responsive than the older version, especially when an object has been selected. The Satellite plugin is working, will try telescope control tonight. There is also a neat little angle calculator which allows measurement of the angular separation of any points you specify.

Mike

Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

• mykc
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
14 years 2 months ago #83879 by mykc
A new version 0.10.4 is now available for both Windows and Mac from the downloads section of the stellarium site:

www.stellarium.org/

The Mac version works perfectly on my machine. I had problems with the telescope control plugin, but following advice from the stellarium bug report forum, I found the correct name for the serial port (type "ls /dev/*" in a terminal window to get a list of devices), copied it into the configuration dialog of the plugin, and it worked perfectly. The satellite plugin gives predictions that match those from www.heavens-above.com , but are 1 hour out of sync, presumably due to a timezone issue. Predictions for the ISS do not match well, but they are for early March, and may converge as we get closer to the actual date.

The Windows version runs fine for me under Vista, and the display issues in version 0.10.3 all appear to have been resolved.

Mike

Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
13 years 7 months ago #86162 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:New version of Stellarium released
Just installed version 0.10.5 on Windows 7 64bit.
It intalls into the 32bit folder.
However, it runs very slowly - getting 0.05fps.
Anyone else with similar probnlems?

Michael.

More
13 years 7 months ago #86171 by mjc
Replied by mjc on topic Re:New version of Stellarium released
I ran it a few weeks ago on my XP laptop and found also that frame rate wasn't high - however it seemed to be responsive enough.

However, when I reduced from full screen to a window I found that everything else on my system was grinding to a halt (my Laptop isn't a great spec however).

It seems to be quite demanding of resources.

Mark C

More
13 years 7 months ago #86173 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:New version of Stellarium released
Mac user with no problems but my other Windoze machine (XP Pro) shows no problems either.

Check for the usual things Mike like scanning antivirus, too many tabs open on Firefox/IE to mention 2 to look out for.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds