Need another ethernet port

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #86339 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:Need another ethernet port
Duh - just worked it out folks. Works like a kind of expansion box...

One genuine question though, on the SuperStack hub, there's a toggle switch with a choice of MDI or MDIX. I'll assume the "X" means "better/faster" - but which is the most approriate setting?

Cheers - and I appreciate all your replies!
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #86357 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Need another ethernet port
Dave,
I think the X stands for "can deal with crossover", its a type of network cable, a type you wouldn't have, so I'd imagine your cables are all standard ethernet straight through cables, so I'd leave it on MDI, although I think straight through cables will work on both settings.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
13 years 7 months ago #86372 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re:Need another ethernet port
dmcdona wrote:

Forgive my ignorance folks...

What does "unmanaged" mean? Presumably its no big deal...

Thats probably what you want actually. Managed switches allow you to control the traffic though them at a detailed level, join several together and get information on traffic usage etc. Its something that is useful in an large network but not really for home.

For such a switch - where do I plug it into my router? The router has the ADSL socket and four ethernet ports - is it a router-ethernet-port to a switch-ethernet-port connection?? If so, any special kind of cable? And can I assume it'll figure out what I'm playing at without me having to do anything (e.g. software settings etc)

I guess you worked it out :-) Basically plug one of the ethernet cables out of the router, the printer say, then connect the new switch to the router using a regular ethernet cable. then plug the printer into the new switch. The MDIX as Dave says relates to crossover cables, basically the RX and TX wires are switched, its for connecting two devices together rather than for a device to switch. You dont see that so much anymore as most newer switches can work out what kind of cable/connection they are getting and deal with it. If there is a switch then flick it until you get blinking lights on the ethernet ports and your computers can talk to each other.

Oh yes, I forgot....
I inherited a "3COM SuperStack II baseline dual speed hub" - it has 24 ethernet-look-a-like ports on the front. Is that what ye guys are referring to? The only issue I have is that when first plugged in, the fan noise would wake the dead. It seems to quieten down after a bit. Would this bit of kit do the trick?

I used to have a similar switch to that at home. Noisy as hell. Though I just disconnected the fan! I was only using about 4 ports on it and it never seemed to heat up enough to cause problems even with the fan disconnected.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
13 years 7 months ago #86373 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:Need another ethernet port
Thanks Al - its working perfectly!

I think I'll disconnect the fan though - I'm only using the five ports. If it goes belly up, no harm - I got it for nothing... Alternatively, I could go out and buy 19 more network devices...

Thanks for all the help from everyone!
Dave

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds