iPhone Apps for Astronomy

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
13 years 2 months ago #88383 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re: iPhone Apps for Astronomy
Not sure if you van use these actual apps, but there surely are apps similar, although I have no experience of those

Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #88386 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: iPhone Apps for Astronomy
dont forget good old Stellarium

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #88388 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: iPhone Apps for Astronomy
Hi folks. I took delivery of an old I phone 3GS a few days ago. Put sky safari on it tonight. One word for this app WOW. popped out tonight for a quick cig with the binocs and phone. It's now half an hour later, I have frozen hands but bagged a load of messiers and a handful of others objects. This app is brilliant. No more atlases for me. Can't wait to give it a go with the scope. Get it if you can. You won't regret it. Had stellarium on it but it was slow and sluggish.

Cheers
Trevor
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by ftodonoghue.

More
13 years 1 month ago #88390 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re: iPhone Apps for Astronomy
Hi Trever,
Try and get it to control your scope via the Wi-Fi option or even the direct wire option. Once I have my Starbook controlled mount aligned, I use SkySafari on an old iTouch to controle the scope all night. No more worrying about the bright Starbook screen with the SkySAfari red light option.
Using the observation lists I can plan my nights viewing. Some folks on the SkySafari Yahoo site do up the Sue French's monthly observing lists even in the order she sorts her ones. SkySafari now has a doubles list.
Best 'Hand Paddle' upgrade for €15 I could find. Sure beats the new Vixen Starbook Ten €1000+ controller.
Donal

More
13 years 1 month ago #88396 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: iPhone Apps for Astronomy

donalmcnamara wrote: Hi Trever,
Try and get it to control your scope via the Wi-Fi option or even the direct wire option. Once I have my Starbook controlled mount aligned, I use SkySafari on an old iTouch to controle the scope all night. No more worrying about the bright Starbook screen with the SkySAfari red light option.
Using the observation lists I can plan my nights viewing. Some folks on the SkySafari Yahoo site do up the Sue French's monthly observing lists even in the order she sorts her ones. SkySafari now has a doubles list.
Best 'Hand Paddle' upgrade for €15 I could find. Sure beats the new Vixen Starbook Ten €1000+ controller.
Donal

Another thumbs up for SkySafari and Sky-Fi. I've had both since October '09.........just haven't used them both together yet! :blush: Basically been out of the Astronomy game for 18 months due to House moves and renovations....and exhaustion:laugh: My heavily modded 16" Lightbridge Dob has sat unused in a corner alongside an unopened box containing a Servocat Goto Drive, SkyCommander DSC and Sky-fi Wireless interface box all waiting to be fitted.

However, that hasn't stopped me playing with SkySafari on the iPhone for those 18 months. I haven't booted up StarryNightPro6+ since I got SkySafari. Once in a blue moon I find an object with no description in SkySafari. I seem to recall every second or third object in SNP6+ merely having a generic description, ie. "A Galaxy is a..." The functionality and wealth of information contained in the 160 megabytes of SkySafari app astounds me. Best 15 euro I ever spent on software for any device.

Absolutely can't wait to get all the gear fitted to the scope finally and start using the wireless planetarium control goto functionality.

Not going to be fitted in time for a possible Messier Marathon with SDAS on Friday nor the Glendalough outreach event on the 12th but rather than doing what I had done in the past and not go because the scope wasn't finished, this time I'll attend with the scope as is. Sure I need to make sure the simple JMI TNT tracking system that I fitted actually works before I strip it back off to sell so I can fit the servocat in its place.

BTW at the same time as I bought SkySafari, I bought Moon Atlas and MoonGlobe apps. How do these compare to MoonGlobe HD? Is MoonglobeHD the new goldstandard moon app on Iphone. Is it worth getting if I already have the other two?

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds