K-Tec

C6 again!

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 11 months ago #12081 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: C6 again!
Thanks for that advice Dave,I will defintely have to get myself a focal reducer. Would this be the possible reason for not seeing the Eagle and Swan?
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #12084 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: C6 again!
Bill,
These nebulae are fairly faint, try get a nebula filter if you want to do visual work on these..
they really help, when I tried if on the veil nebila in cygnus for the first time, I was amazed at the differance it made.
One of my books here tells me that you need atleast a 10 inch to see any kind of detail on the Eagle, so the 8" is probabily good enough for photographic work.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 11 months ago #12091 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: C6 again!
Bill - these are nice images. Focus is spot on. And what gets me is the colour! I have terrible problems with colour in the DSI but I'm not too fussed about it - I just image in grayscale.

As far as galaxies go, whats your scope setup? I think its 8" but whats the focal length? My galaxy images are taken with a 6.3 focal reducer - the whirlpool still doesn;t fit on the chip though. Actually, the images on my site who what you 'can' fit on with an F10 8" sct with a 6.3 reducer...

But to 'see' them, I normally shoot a 5 sec expsoure with the auto contrast bumped up to '2' - this should show you the core. That's all. You'll only see the rest of the galaxy when you start stacking. When I first tried in fact, I saw nothing - just like you.

By the way, once you focus (say on jupiter's moons or your favourite object) you won't need to focus again. I set the focus once at the start of the session - and that's it. Mirror flop can be an issue but its not given me any heartburn yet. And I haven't got to the level of temperature compensated nano-drive super accurate focusers. Yet :)

Keep it up Bill and don;t forget the insurance.

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds