• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #12210 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter
Trevor et al,

Thank you for the kind words. It was indeed a very nice sight visually ... so much so that it distracted me from my intended first light test involving some high-power high-res imaging of the lunar surface and this is something that will have to wait for tomorrow.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 11 months ago #12211 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Lunar Conjunction with Jupiter
Hi Anthony - with AP increasing production into their new manufacturing unit I'm crossing my fingers that my name will come up soon. But then I'll have to sell my soul to pay for it...

If the quality is anything like the 1200GTO then there will be no surprise - the AP mount is also a masterpiece of engineering and its performance so far has been exceptional - even in my hands! And I've yet to calibrate and tune it... So I expect even more. And as ever AP are developing more upgrades - tracking that varies depending on where you are pointing. I wasn't aware that the rate of movement of objects varies with their position in the sky - they do not all move at sidereal rate apparently...

I hope you'll post up more images from the scope so we can all get to see what it can do. The best of luck with it!

Cheers

Dave McD

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #12218 by ayiomamitis
Hi Dave,

We seem to be at opposite ends: I have my AP160 and I am simultaneously waiting for an AP1200GTO and you are in precisely the opposite situation with the AP1200GTO in hand and waiting for the AP160! :lol:

I am very happy to learn that you are satisfied with the AP1200GTO. Not that I am surprised but it is encouraging to hear of your approval. I was debating between the AP1200GTO and Paramount ME but will probably stick with the tried and true AP1200GTO since it is almost certain I will get the call later this year.

As for the increased production at AP, it will be very interesting to see how things actually pan out. Maybe, just maybe, when people hear that production has been increased etc, they will also queue up and add further to the backlog so as to offset the increased production.

FOr better or worse, waiting is part of the process that one must go through when it comes to AP products. I am fortunate in that the longer wait of the two (AP160 vs AP1200GTO) is over with .... 5 yrs and 9 months to get the AP160?!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 11 months ago #12220 by dmcdona
Anthony - I actually got the call for the 1200 after about 2.5 years. Funnily enough, I still haven't been called for the 900 and my name went in at the same time as the 1200. The 900 must be more popular.

I heard that calls for the next round of 1200's will go out in the next one or two months - so be prepared.

I've read a lot about the Paramount and its a lovely piece of kit. And I think you can buy it pretty much from stock (if you have the money). But having done all my research, the 1200 can at least match it and is cheaper. But then you have to wait...

I did read that the ME suffered some glitches when the first production runs came out but they seem to be ironed out. What I do like about AP is that if you have an issue, you can go on line and within a short while you'll have an answer. Roland Christen is also very good at giving out advice and taking issues away and reporting back to the AP group with solutions.

One thing with the 1200 is that being so accurate, ortogonality is now my major issue. I have to shim the OTA so its optical axis is aligned 90 degrees to the DEC axis.

The 1200 and the 160 would be an awesome partnership. If you finally choose the 1200, you will not be disappointed. It is beautifully designed and engineered. Attention to detail is superb. Tracking so far (minus calibration etc) is superb. I read one post where a user got a 30 minute unguided exposure :shock: I've certainly got excellent tracking over 200 seconds without any calibration.

I also bought the 42" portable pier and rotating adapter plate. The pier is absolutely rock solid and the rotating plate does help in polar alignment. And believe it or not, the whole setup is actually portable! Just.

I just wish that we had clearer weather here. And the call-up for the 160 :D

All te best and don't forget to post the images!

Dave McD

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 11 months ago #12224 by ayiomamitis
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the additional feedback surrounding the AP1200GTO and Paramount ME. If there was any doubt in my mind, your experience has certainly titlted the scale towards the AP1200GTO route.

I agree that the AP160 and AP1200GTO are a match made in heaven. Granted the funds required for this tandem is also heavenly, it also represents a killer setup and winning combo for serious astrophotography.

The weather is quite favourable and I will be able after some high-power high-res imaging in a few hours. I also received my new Baader IR-Pass filter which I am eager to put into use as well (the effects due to atmospheric turbulence is less of an issue with such a filter).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 11 months ago #12228 by dmcdona
Anthony - I'll keep you posted with progress on my calibration efforts and how the 1200 perfoms when its truly tuned. As I said, I've not used a Paramount ME so I can't compare them directly. But I've certainly read on the web that they would be considered equal in terms of performance. The AP is a couple of grand cheaper but you have to wait for it - that's pretty much the only important difference as far as I can see.

And by the way, I also read that the 1200 is more 'accurate' than the 900 simply by virtue of the larger size of the worm wheels in the 1200. SO if you had your name down for the 900 (as I do) then go for the 1200 instead. The price differential was marginal but I see the 900 price is currently to be determined.

Now, I just need a notification of the 160 - I see the price has gone up :cry: But what a setup. Well, a 20" RC would be nice...

Good luck with the Baader - I've heard good reviews of its performance. And I'm really looking forward to seeing the images! You have a nice setup there and good weather - let's hope you don't raise the bar too high for this board :wink:

Cheers

Dave McD

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds