Any digi-cam experts out there?

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12742 by Bill_H
Any digi-cam experts out there? was created by Bill_H
Any one with digi-cam knowledge out there to advise me? I have a Panasonic NV-DS35 Digital camcorder with 15X optical zoom and 150X digital zoom. I'm sure I could use this with the telescope and perhaps take some footage which could then be stacked in registax or something. Anyone with advice, but be gentle with me and explain in words of one sylable :D I can't find any of the software I had for it to be used with my old PC. All I have is the digital camcorder, instructions, mains cord, rechargable battery, a couple of digital tapes and a gadget for snatching single frames from the camera tape.
Is there a connector that can be purchased to connect it to the scope rather than point the lens through the eyepiece. But then how do I get the footage out of the camera?
Thanks.
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12744 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Any digi-cam experts out there?
You obviously have 100% cloud cover too :D

Err, that's it Bill. I've nothing constructive to offer you regarding your digiwhatever but I'm sure someone here will chip in...

I'll get me coat....

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #12746 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Any digi-cam experts out there?
Bill. Assuming you have a digital camcorder then what you need to get the footage on to your PC is a firewire (IEEE) card and cable. Firewire cards are dirt cheap (19euro from komplett.ie) www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=110513&cks=PRL

And that even comes with free editing software. BTW if you plan doing normal video editing on your PC I can highly recommend Pinnacle Studio Software. I've seen this bundled with a firewire card and cable. Heres a link to that

www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307758&cks=SER

Anyway I digress!

Check your PC doesnt already have a firewire connection, many newer PCs have then built in.

You will need a cable too to hook up your digi cam to your PC. The software that comes with the firewire card is all you need to get the footage stored as an AVI you can then use with registax.

As for a bracket to connect the digicam to the scope, well I'm sure that wont be a problem for you.

PS dont buy from the US. They use NTSC format and we use PAL. Your camcorder may support both but then again it may not!

PPS Forget about the 'digital' zoom. Its just a resampling of the actual pixels and not a real zoom. Stick with the optiucal only zoom

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12747 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Any digi-cam experts out there?
Yep Dave McD. !00% cover :cry:
Thanks Dave G. I actually used the camcorder a lot but then because of work loads it got buried. Then this evening I just thought that maybe it would be useful. I think if I search I will probably find the Firewire. should I be able to remove the capture card from the old PC and put it into this one, or would I be better to buy a more up to date card? when I say "I" I mean find someone to do it for me :lol:
Bill H.

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #12748 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Any digi-cam experts out there?
<Eamon Dunphy Impression>Well Bill!</Eamon Dunphy Impression>

If you have a firewire card in an old PC the by all means cannibalise it! However for 19yoyos including software. The one from komplett sounds like it might be a lot less hassle. Just be sure it is a digital camcorder not an analogue one. It should have a DV OUT connector.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 10 months ago #12749 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Any digi-cam experts out there?

<Eamon Dunphy Impression>Well Bill!</Eamon Dunphy Impression>

:lol: :lol:
For €19 your right. buy a new one and start fresh.
Yes Dave, it's defintely a digital.
And back to what you said about the digital zoom. Yes, I remember once thinking I would use this fantastic zoom for some wildlife shooting. Boy! was I disapointed with the quality. I never used it again, just stuck to the optical zoom. I would have been better using the bottom of a milk bottle!
I think my main idea with this camcorder was to see if I could get some decent planet images as I seem to be struggling with the DSI for that. Use the DSI for nebulas etc and camcorder for planets. Just a thought anyway.
Thanks for your advice.
Bill.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds