Summer Milkyway from Portugal

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #12850 by Keith g
Summer Milkyway from Portugal was created by Keith g
Hi all, I'm just back from a great holiday in portugal, I thought i'd have a go at shooting the Summer Milkyway from there, and take a look at parts of the sky what we don't get to see from here 'up north' . This is a rough shot I took with an 18mm lens attached to the 300D, piggybacked on a manually guided ETX 70 (first time!) - please forgive me on the slight tracking errors, it was'nt easy :? But it's sooooo hot here, temperature was about 23C at night, humidity was high, and seeing, well - was crap :D Nevertheless....

You can see the tail of Scorpius - lovely in binoculars, we're really missing out there :cry: Sagittarius was lovely also, and looking at Starclusters M6 & M7 was great.

I shot from the local beach where they had floodlights that would put any football stadium to shame, you can see the sea lit up, with some ships on the horizon.

Details: Canon 300D 18mm Lens at f4.5
Date & Location: 9th June 2005, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
Exposure: 2 minutes
Guiding: Meade ETX70-AT Piggyback with autostar hand controller
ISO: 400
Conditions: Very Poor Seeing and Transparency, High temp & humidity
Best I could do....... :(

Keith...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #12857 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Summer Milkyway from Portugal
Welcome back Keith - hope you actually did some holiday stuff too!

That's not a bad image considering seeing and guiding. Any idea what that dark thick line is east to west about 1/3 from the bottom? And do you know the town/city you can see on the horizon? Or is that a really BIG ship!

Any problems with customs/security by the way?

Cheers

Dave McD

More
18 years 10 months ago #12870 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Summer Milkyway from Portugal
The last time I saw Scorpius like that is when I was in the Canaries back in the ninetees, ahhh to be there again. :cry: not this year unfortunately.
Keith, was the naked eye light pollution as bad as the pic indicates or was the sky darker?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 10 months ago #12890 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Summer Milkyway from Portugal
I await the day when I can have both time AND money to get down to those lattudes with a telescope! Still, with Anthony's offer for a short stay in Greece, who knows!

:wink:

Great picture Keith, you're turning out some great pictures lately!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 10 months ago #12899 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
The dark thick line east to west is actually an airplane trail :( I did'nt even see this the transparency was so bad, but the sky was actually darker than the shot shows. And thats a big ship out on the horizon, it was really bright.

Customs only stopped momentarily to check the x-ray scan of my etx in the hand luggage, no problems at all, I did'nt even have to open it up :D Still, I had the manual with me just in case

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds