K-Tec

some images

More
18 years 9 months ago #14872 by astroguy
Replied by astroguy on topic Re: some images
Hi Bill,

The flare ate the edge maight be amp glow. Try a lower sensitivity in your cam to see if it goes or diminishes.
Good work Bill. You have made some gppd propgress.

Regards
Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #14879 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: some images

Hi Bill,

The flare ate the edge maight be amp glow. Try a lower sensitivity in your cam to see if it goes or diminishes.
Good work Bill. You have made some gppd propgress.

Regards
Jouke

Hi Jouke, what is amp glow? (for future reference)
Do you mean cut back on the exposure time? This certainly reduces it. One thing I noticed, last night as well, was I only get it when I image over the top house, pointing NE, N, NW. Even with the house in complete darkness, absolutely no lights on indoors, also no matter how high above the house I point, it appears on exposures over 40 seconds.
Cheers,
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
18 years 9 months ago #14910 by astroguy
Replied by astroguy on topic Re: some images
Ampl glow is a thermal effect. It hets photons in your buckets (Pixels) from thermal heat generated by the amplification setting (CCD) or ISO setting (Digicam) So try reducing the amplification/sensitivity or whatever setting you have in your hardware or software or both. Dont reduce exposure.
Ampglow would always be there if you push sensitivity settings. Regardsless of where you are pointing
Your remark about a link to your house made me think about IR radiation? Could that be someting? Id ont know. Never hear about that. And ifyou are using a normal cam you will have a IR filter in there. If you are using your DSI try a IR filter to see if this would change things.
Nice hobby uh, pushing limits of things?

Regards (also to Lesley and the kids)

Jouke

LX 200 GPS, Williams optics 80mm APO, Meade LPI, Canon 300D, Skymap pro, Lunar phase pro, Image plus, Exploradome.

More
18 years 9 months ago #14912 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: some images
Bill - the DSI usually has two sources of amp glow - top left and right (though with images rotated, they could be side or bottom). One of the sources is definatley bigger than the other.

Regardless of this, if you are auto subtracting darks of the same expsoure duration as your image, the amp glow will be subtratced out. If you are not subtracting darks, they'll soon become noticeable.

Actually, one way to see this is take a look at your darks!

Looking at your pics, I don;t think its amp glow you are suffering from. I had a similar situation a few weeks back - an odd light gradient. I tightend up the nosepiece and made sure it was tight into the scope. I also checked that the DSI case was tighly shut (I'd had it open a few hours earlier) and the seal was in place.

The odd gradient went away......

Cheers

Dave McD

• Bill_H
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 9 months ago #14924 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: some images

Your remark about a link to your house made me think about IR radiation?
Jouke

Hi Jouke, I tried to do some imaging last night but failed due to the gathering clouds, but I noticed things had deteriorated, the glow was apearing on the laptop screen no matter the direction the scope pointed, also it was begining to appear at ten second exposure rather than 40 as previously. I'm just waiting for a reply from Dave McD about a modifiation that was made to the DSI, I may have omitted something important when making it :oops:
Will let you know.
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds