Shamefully forgotten anniversary

• pmgisme
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #28449 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Durrow
The Book of Durrow dates from the late seventh century. It can't have a reference to SN 1054 as it was already 400 years old in 1054AD.

It's true...it WAS used as "Aromatherapy for cows".

www.unc.edu/celtic/catalogue/manuscripts/durrow.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28461 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Shamefully forgotten anniversary
APOD ran this at the end of April...

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060430.html

Dave

• pmgisme
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 11 months ago #28479 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Nice simulation
It would be neat someone in St. Gallen did the same, with their southern mountainous horizon accurately superimposed. Then we would see almost exactly what they saw.

Anyone know any Swiss astro-imagers?

More
17 years 11 months ago #28481 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Durrow

The Book of Durrow dates from the late seventh century. It can't have a reference to SN 1054 as it was already 400 years old in 1054AD.

It's true...it WAS used as "Aromatherapy for cows".

I stand corrected so! I thought there was an 'appendix' to it from a later date.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 11 months ago #28482 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Shamefully forgotten anniversary
greetings from San Francisco!

Paul (Tipper) mailed me about this thread . . . very interesting stuff and I'll talk to you a little more Emmet when I'm back in Ireland about using the article in Arcturus.

I've the book "Historical Supernovae" by Richard Stephenson if anyone would like to have a look through it for more info on SN1006. Another good book to read about what the next supernova in our galaxy will be like is "The Starry Room" by Fred Schaaf . . . he talks about how it will appear to us at maximum brightness; image a point source as bright as the First Quarter Moon twinkling, or the SN brightening the horizon with a dawn-like glow as it rises . . . can't wait!

I'd treat that Book of Durrow record with caution. When I first heard it, the observation sounded very much like a tornado, not a supernova.

couple of more books are "The Irish Book of Death and Flying Ships" by Tim Coates (some astronomical observations from the Irish annals contained within its pages) and "A Chronicle of Pre-Telescopic Astronomy" by Barry Hetherington.

atb,

John

More
17 years 11 months ago #28517 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I pray for the night we see the next supernova in our own milkyway. Imagine it's just over 400 years since the last one - ok there was a reported supernova in cassiopeia in the year 1680, but it's reckoned it was only magnitude 6, so really not noticed.

Try and have a look at the countless stars there are at any astrophoto of the summer milkyway, surely the odds are one has to come soon :roll:

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds