K-Tec

Build your own solar system!

More
16 years 1 month ago #64850 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
When I seen he original thread, I thought "Oh my God" first they build thier own Dobson telescopes - then they build solar systems? :lol: I have so much to aspire too :shock:

anyway I agree with the view that this could become a futile exercise. My son collected a magazine to build a robot once, and lost interest. Im sure you could buy something of equal interest to put to your collection of astronomy bits and bobs for less money - and have it on your mantepiece a lot quicker...and probably cheaper

Declan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64852 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I would class an Orrery as being more Art than Science nowadays.

I have had a copy of Joseph Wright's painting "The Philosopher Contemplates the Orrery" ( upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d...by%2C_The_Orrery.jpg )

for a while, and I've had my eye out for a "real" Orrery.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 1 month ago #64931 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I'm impressed by this orrery, it looks great, as for the build quality, who knows?
If you go for it, order it off their website and not from a shop as the shop will inevitably drop it before its finished.
Its 52 issues at 10e each, so the question is will you get an orrery like it elsewhere for 520e?? After having a look on the web, the answer seems to be no.

I'd want the orrery, I'd have little interest in the mag, and the fact you'd be looking at it for 52 weeks waiting for it to be finished....well, IF you can put up with that then go for it.
The big thing for me is that thing is motorized, it will spin away on its own, very nice!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 1 month ago #65009 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
I was thinking of buying this set myself. Has anyone else purchased the first issue and can comment on the quality of the pieces it comes with (plastic, brass, etc)?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 1 month ago #65015 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Build your own solar system!
Go ahead Seanie....If you get stuck I could give you a hand. Back at the end of the last century I was trained as a watchmaker - no seriously I was (strange but true) :( - I might as well have trained as a flint knapper....might have more kudos now :cry:

declan

btw I think its brass...or some metal looking like brass

More
16 years 1 month ago #65018 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Build your own solar system!

I think its brass...or some metal looking like brass

That's the thing, it is metal looking on the TV ad. I want to know before I spend my money on 284-weekly parts what I am getting in the end!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds