K-Tec

New astronomy group set up in South Kerry

More
13 years 7 months ago #86235 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:New astronomy group set up in South Kerry
ohhhhh, didnt think of that!! there are probalily a few of up here who'd come along to an observing session in west Kerry for some observing if you were having one, have you talked to the guys in Tralee?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #86236 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:New astronomy group set up in South Kerry
Hey! Feck off Dave!! U tryin to give me the heave ho!!
(ha ha - No Dave is in the same club as me...
im sure if you got him to do a talk then we'd end up takling the spin down ....eh Dave?)

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
13 years 7 months ago #86243 by joner
swkerry wrote:

Ah shur we're set up now, so email me the next time you are down or something..
is it ok to supply email address of the group on this board? or are there nasty spam viruses waiting for the beloved @ to appear? if it is ok then I'll post it on the board next time I'm online.

Can't get onto my origional profile page to alter the origional text above, the web address is www.the-universe.ie
but somehow in the origional text I placed an and at the end and I can't seem to remove it.

We are planning on building our own telescope as a group project ...any one of you try this?
Got the blueprints off the internet and they sure look the business. Anyone got an inkling as to where ce can buy the mirrors and glass...good quality ones...hopefully in the uk or someplace like that?

Eugene (Deise Astronomy) and I built the 8.75" I have and I'm currently building a 14.7" (I should have finished it in the summer but got sidetracked with diy).

I can highly recommend Mark Cowan of Obsidian optics for a mirror . He done me a fantastic deal on the 14.7" mirror I have , pm me if you want more details on price and shipping deal he can do ;) if you want.

More
13 years 7 months ago #86244 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:New astronomy group set up in South Kerry
Frank_Ryan_jr wrote:

Hey! Feck off Dave!! U tryin to give me the heave ho!!
(ha ha - No Dave is in the same club as me...
im sure if you got him to do a talk then we'd end up takling the spin down ....eh Dave?)

ahhh, who said anything about me doing a talk, I prefer to sit back and enjoy the show, :P
you can sweat it out, I'm happy to sit back and observe :silly:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• swkerry
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 7 months ago #86272 by swkerry
Replied by swkerry on topic Re:New astronomy group set up in South Kerry
Greetings,
We have the most amazing site in Caherciveen, right beside the Vanencia weather station with a terriffic meeting room that's so homely you just won't want to go home. It's pitch dark at night, no stray lights of cars or anyting... so it's perfect, and as you can imagine the shores of the Sea is not far away. Very beautiful in the day too. I'd think anyone with a good astro camera would be in heaven with the sights above and around them. Haven't actually used the site yet as a group, we are just gathering the troops together,,,setting up bank accounts, talks, and so on. But it's ours come October.
There's another unbelievably dark site in Dromaid, outside waterville.
Ballinskelligs beach is another great spot....
As you can imagine we are spoiled for great spots down here in this neck of the woods.
Of course you are welcome to come down and we would love to hear you speak and have a peek through that scope of yours.
There are a lot of standing stones down here as well where the bones of todays astronomy was laid down. The sun shines right through the alighned huge stones right on cue come the solstice, it's amazing.
Then there are the stigue forts thousands of years old, no-one has a clue what they were all about but they are in dark places and once inside the stone walls all sound seems to evaporate and there's nothing but the roof of sky overhead....amazing.

• swkerry
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
13 years 7 months ago #86273 by swkerry
Replied by swkerry on topic Re:New astronomy group set up in South Kerry
Paid up members to date...10...which isn't bad considering we are only getting off the ground. I feel that the locals are watching from the sidelines waiting to see if we develop as a group or not...which is ok. There are a lot of people interested in coming to the talks only, which is also ok...and you never know what might kick off.

Membership only opened on Friday 17th Sept when our bank account was opened. On the books we have 30 others wanting to become members and I've only got in touch with them about the new account Friday night.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds