K-Tec

International Observe the Moon Night Sep 22nd

More
11 years 7 months ago #94832 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: International Observe the Moon Night Sep 22nd
MAC has a couple of ideas we are working on (in the committee), and once we know what and when, we'll tell all!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #95085 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: International Observe the Moon Night Sep 22nd
Lets hope it'll clear for tonight !!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #95104 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: International Observe the Moon Night Sep 22nd
We had a nice clear sky here in Limerick last night, showed a good few people the moon through the clubs scopes and binos, only thing is that the Moon went low very early.
I dont see why the IOM people picked this night for this event, next weekend would have been far better which a much higher moon.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by dave_lillis.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
11 years 7 months ago #95111 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re: International Observe the Moon Night Sep 22nd
Last night International Observe the moon night 2012 was a great success for St Cronans Stargazers IFAS School Club
We had three telescopes set up on Bray prom, for a little over one hour. We shared the first quarter moon with approx 35 members of the public who were out for a walk and pleasantly surprised by our gathering.

The hour was enough for the young group, we started at 7:30 and finished a little after 8:30
The low moon was available and very sharp, till it was swallowed by misty cloud toward the end of our session.

The boys and the parents were very helpful and it was great for them to see the areas on the moon we had
discussed and sketched on Monday evening.
Lovely steady moon views - we looked at Mare Serenitatis ,Mare Tranquillitatis including the Apollo 11 landing site.Mare Crisium including Proclus and its rays.Atlas and Hercules. We used low and high power eyepieces then switched back to low power for our viewing public.

More images on our Facebook Page www.facebook.com/St.Cronans.Stargazers?ref=hl

I almost forgot to do the Neil Armstrong wink at the moon thing , those images are on a parents phone.

I was using a 10 inch dob donated to the club by Graham Roach

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Chair IFAS
Attachments:

More
11 years 7 months ago #95112 by Calibos
Hi Deirdre,

Sorry I couldn't make it last night. I just remembered that morning that the 22nd of September was my dads 65th Birthday!! :blush: :whistle: I ended up cooking a feast for 7 smack bang when the outreach session was to be held.

Did you get my text by the way. I wasn't sure if I was reading the phone number correctly. There was some confusion as to whether one of the numbers was an 8 or a 5.

Was there many people out walking on the Prom at that time? Was 35 an hour better or worse than you expected? Would you set up at that spot at the boathouse again etc?

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
11 years 7 months ago #95113 by nectarine
Deise Astronomy held two Moonwatches last night - one in Tramore & one in Dungarvan. We had a lot of cloud cover but everyone who came along did get to look thru' our 8" and 10" scopes (in Dungarvan). The seeing wasn't great as it was very hazy and kept clouding up but everyone enjoyed the event (about 30 people came and quite a few of them had never even looked thru' a telescope before so twas very good)

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds