Another double transit -10/01/13

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 3 months ago #96304 by flt158
Another double transit -10/01/13 was created by flt158
OK lads and lassies, I am giving you plenty of time on this occasion. On Thursday night after I watch Patrick Moore's very last Sky at Night programme, we all have another opportunity to see a Double Transit on the clouds of Jupiter. It is Io and Ganymede once again -same as last Thursday.
Unlike last week's event which lasted 2 full hours, this Double Transit only last 6 minutes -from 22.32 to 22.38 UT. Full details can be found on www.skyandtelescope.com
Let us hope the weather is good. No double star this time.

Aubrey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lunartic_old

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 3 months ago #96325 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Another double transit -10/01/13
Good evening, folks and Paul (Lunartic). We have perfect clear skies on south Dublin for tonight's double transit. Io's shadow is already on the South Equatorial Belt, and the Great Red Spot is coming on the eastern limb. Valerie and I are now waiting for Ganymede's shadow -which is due to come on to Jupiter's disc just after 22.30. I shall have my 5mm Nagler firmly in position.
Is there anyone else having a look?

Aubrey.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 3 months ago #96337 by flt158
We couldn't quite observe the double transit last night, ie, seeing both Io's shadow and Ganymede's shadow on Jupiter simultaneously on the disc -even with a 6.2" refractor at 225X. Io's shadow came off at 22.37, and Ganymede's shadow appeared at 22.40. Still we can't complain, seeing 2 shadows on any given night is great to see within 5 minutes of one another -albeit not at the same time on this occasion.
Also on view was the Great Red Spot, the North Equatorial Belt, the South Equatorial Belt, the North Temperate Belt and the South Temperate belt.
Did anyone else see anything -or were you all glued to Simon Cox and co.?

Aubrey.

More
11 years 3 months ago #96339 by PaulWalsh
Replied by PaulWalsh on topic Re: Another double transit -10/01/13
I was watching Stargazing but I did get out after it and just caught Ganymede's shadow just before it came off Jupiter great sight to behold.

• flt158
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
11 years 3 months ago #96340 by flt158
That must have been very late, Paul. I remember Io's shadow egressing at 22.37. Ganymede's shadow was only ingressing on at 22.40. It does take a long time for its shadow to egress.
Can you remember the time by any chance?

Aubrey.

More
11 years 3 months ago #96341 by PaulWalsh
Replied by PaulWalsh on topic Re: Another double transit -10/01/13
Hi Aubrey I cant be sure of the time as I wasn't too sure of what I was seeing it wasn't until I saw your post this morning that I was sure. I was out in the garden until around 00:30 but there was a lot of pfaffing around going on with webcams and video cameras so it was before midnight anyway. I really need to start time stamping things in my diary (that I started on your suggestion).

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds