• michael_murphy
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 9 months ago #98296 by michael_murphy
Request about observing Occultatoon Aug 26th was created by michael_murphy
Hello All,

I have received the following request from the USA.
If anyone can help Paul can you reply here and I will forward.

Thanks,

Michael.

I am planning to fly to Dublin to videorecord an important occultation of a 7.8 magnitude star by the asteroid 5 Astraea. I would like to get some idea of the weather prospects before commiting to this and would appreciate advice. The event will occur around 0155UT on August 26 (Tuesday) 2014. You can see the interactive path map at:

www.poyntsource.com/New/Google/20140826_32908.HTM

The path actually lies between the two parallel blue lines. The red line marks the expected path error. Dublin itself lies on the northern edge as we know today. Hopefully there will be some astrometry between now and August and the path may be pinned down even better.

Another approach might be to look at the weather in Holyhead (near the predicted center of the occultatio path) across the water. It appears there is ferry service between Dublin and Holyhead. However, I do not again know the weather prospects there.

If there are any observers who might be willing to assist, please let me know.

thanks,

Paul D. Maley
NASA Johnson Space Center Astronomical Society
and International Occultation Timing Association
Houston, Texas USA
www.eclipsetours.com/paul-maley/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #98297 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Request about observing Occultatoon Aug 26th
My thoughts on this would be as follows:

Weather:
It's certainly about the best time of year, given our climate. As for odds of clear skies, I'd probably say about 20-25% chance of seeing part of the occultation.
I don't think there would be much difference in weather prospects between Dublin and Holyhead.

Access to Holyhead:
Several ferries every day, so that's no issue.

Assistance:
It would be a great opportunity and privilege for amateur astronomers to assist Paul with his efforts.
If Paul would be willing to deliver a public lecture while in Dublin, I'm sure there would an interest among astronomers in attending it.
It would be a good way of encouraging amateur astronomers to learn about and get involved in occultation timings.
I can think of a suitable venue for a public talk, who may also be in a position to provide suitable accommodation.

Feel free to pass on my email address if you wish.
michael@astroshot.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: michael_murphy

More
10 years 9 months ago #98307 by flt158
This is very interesting. Valerie and I are going to meet Paul Maley in out upcoming total solar eclipse trip across the Atlantic Ocean in October and November. I must try and speak with him about next year's occultation.

Aubrey.

Moderators: Neill
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds