K-Tec

Green Flash

More
14 years 6 months ago #81433 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Green Flash
Nice work there, Frank!

The green flash is something which has eluded me for some time. I have tried repeatedly to capture it but no luck so far.

I will get it ... at some point! : angry:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #81434 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Green Flash
Grest shots there frank, its rare enough to get that kinda shot from these parts.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
14 years 6 months ago - 14 years 6 months ago #81437 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Green Flash
I've seen the green flash at sunset a few times over the years - always different each time. The most notable one was when I was over in the Isle of Man for the Millennium. Mum and I went out to the Calf of Man on the very south tip of the island to watch the last sunset of the old millennium and were treated to a stunning display.

The sun slowly set into the sea and with a beautiful change in shape and colours. A large, broad dome started to appear well above where the sun had disappeared a few seconds before, which then proceeded to go through several shades of green before becoming too dark and disappearing. The whole display (of greens) lasted some 10-15 seconds - a life time!

The next morning we headed back out there to watch the first sunrise of the new millennium and were treated to an equally magical dawn. No green, but heaven all the same.

Phil.

Beautiful shots BTW Frank!
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by philiplardner.

More
14 years 6 months ago #81439 by ayiomamitis
Phil,

This is an excellent report.

Question for you and this is where my ignorance comes into play: does the green flash appear after the sun has set?

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 6 months ago #81440 by ayiomamitis
PS. I just followed up on the link in Frank's initial message and I now have an answer as to why I have NEVER managed to capture the green flash. I have always thought it was during sunset and it is here where I had attempted so many times to observe and image it.

However, it is a phenomenon which occurs after the sun has set due to the bending of light with green and blue light being bent more than red light, thus for the green (and blue) flash.

My thanks to Phil for setting me straight and to Frank for initiating the whole discussion.

Learn something new every day !!!!

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
14 years 6 months ago #81441 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Green Flash
Hi Anthony,

I have only ever seen it just *after* the disc of the sun has disappeared. On the occasion I saw it in the Isle of Man, the sun went down into the sea (there was the very slightest haze line just above the far distant horizon.) What astounded me was that the dome that appeared over the sun (after it set) appeared to rise up out of the sea and grow to perhaps 2 or 3 sun diameters in width and perhaps a quarter to a half a sun diameter in height, changing colour as it grew. It then faded out, getting darker and darker as the sun tip-toed around the planet to surprise us again the next morning!

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds