K-Tec

.xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

More
18 years 6 months ago #16988 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.
Excluding .doc, .xls etc files is IMHO not a good idea. Whether we like it or not, most people use Microsoft software. If people choose to use another software other than a microsoft program, that is their choice. However, to intentionally exclude software which the vast majority of people use is not prudent in my view. I know you have strong views on this Bart but I strongly disagree. I see abolutely no reason why I should have to change the software programs I use just so that I can upload my file on the IFAS boards.
Just my 2cent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 6 months ago #16989 by voyager

Excluding .doc, .xls etc files is IMHO not a good idea. Whether we like it or not, most people use Microsoft software. If people choose to use another software other than a microsoft program, that is their choice. However, to intentionally enclude software which the vast majority of people use is not prudent in my view. I know you have strong views on this Bart but I strongly disagree. I see abolutely no reason why I should have to change the software programs I use just so that I can upload my file on the IFAS boards.
Just my 2cent.

Well there are two things I'll say to that.

Firstly, MS applications allow you to save in open formats like .rtf and .txt for raw data.

Secondly, I point blank REFUSE to support the monopoly practices of MS. An open format means that EVERYONE can read it. The actual way the file works is in the public domain so anyone can write a program to use those files. The only reason MS get away with having thier formats closed is that people let them get away with it. Did you know that on the Mac all MS Office apps allow you to save your files as .pdf? Why? Because Mac users would not tolerate a lack of such a feature. In fact on the Mac you can convert anything to a PDF simply by printing it and selecting "save as PDF" in the print dialog. You can get print drivers for Windows that do the same so that way you can save any MS Office document to a PDF form within word.

Thirdly, the idea of the web is to make content available to everyone. Everything on this site is usable by everyone regardless of what OS they choose to use and what Office software they choose to use. I think it needs to stay that way.

Fourthy, MS formats are so retarded you can insert a virus into an excell sheet that will destroy all data on the reciever's computer. I want the content on this site to be safe for people to use!

Fiftly, MS formats tend to be horibly bloated so they take up more space and more bandwidth. We are now on 4.2GB bandwidth this month out of a limit of 2.0GB!

Anyhow, if you'd like some more coherent reasons for this policies check out: www.openformats.org or the words of Wisdom by father of the GNU Public Liscence that gave us the web server this board is run on, the data base this board is stored on and the software that drives this board, Richard Stallman: www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

The only way the policy on open formats will change on this site will be if the IFAS committee force me to change it.

Bascially, I give up my time and effort to run this site and all I ask in return is that it be run in line with the open source philosophy. Basically compliance with Web Standards and non-suport of proprietary standards.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster (and Open Source Nut! :wink: )

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
18 years 6 months ago #16990 by ctr

You can get print drivers for Windows that do the same so that way you can save any MS Office document to a PDF form within word.

Just wondering where you can get this and is it free :?:

Each of us is here on earth for a reason, and each of us has a special mission to carry out - Maria Shriver

More
18 years 6 months ago #16991 by albertw
And if you are intersted in not using MS Office try

www.openoffice.org/

Or www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.jsp , free download for educational use... ;-)

Cheers,
~Al (and now ends the plug for free software from my gracious employer)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 6 months ago #16992 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: .xls microsoft spreadsheets cannot be uploaded.

Excluding .doc, .xls etc files is IMHO not a good idea. Whether we like it or not, most people use Microsoft software. If people choose to use another software other than a microsoft program, that is their choice. However, to intentionally enclude software which the vast majority of people use is not prudent in my view. I know you have strong views on this Bart but I strongly disagree. I see abolutely no reason why I should have to change the software programs I use just so that I can upload my file on the IFAS boards.
Just my 2cent.

Well there are two things I'll say to that.

Firstly, MS applications allow you to save in open formats like .rtf and .txt for raw data.

Secondly, I point blank REFUSE to support the monopoly practices of MS. An open format means that EVERYONE can read it. The actual way the file works is in the public domain so anyone can write a program to use those files. The only reason MS get away with having thier formats closed is that people let them get away with it. Did you know that on the Mac all MS Office apps allow you to save your files as .pdf? Why? Because Mac users would not tolerate a lack of such a feature. In fact on the Mac you can convert anything to a PDF simply by printing it and selecting "save as PDF" in the print dialog. You can get print drivers for Windows that do the same so that way you can save any MS Office document to a PDF form within word.

Thirdly, the idea of the web is to make content available to everyone. Everything on this site is usable by everyone regardless of what OS they choose to use and what Office software they choose to use. I think it needs to stay that way.

Fourthy, MS formats are so retarded you can insert a virus into an excell sheet that will destroy all data on the reciever's computer. I want the content on this site to be safe for people to use!

Fiftly, MS formats tend to be horibly bloated so they take up more space and more bandwidth. We are now on 4.2GB bandwidth this month out of a limit of 2.0GB!

Anyhow, if you'd like some more coherent reasons for this policies check out: www.openformats.org or the words of Wisdom by father of the GNU Public Liscence that gave us the web server this board is run on, the data base this board is stored on and the software that drives this board, Richard Stallman: www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

The only way the policy on open formats will change on this site will be if the IFAS committee force me to change it.

Bascially, I give up my time and effort to run this site and all I ask in return is that it be run in line with the open source philosophy. Basically compliance with Web Standards and non-suport of proprietary standards.

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster (and Open Source Nut! :wink: )

I understand where you are coming from Bart and the philosophy behind it. However, I do think a more practical approach should be taken. Opensource is a great idea but I do think the website should not be afraid of proprietary software either. If I want to upload a doc file, the opensource fans should be able to open it. If the file only contain text, then saving it as a txt file isn't a problem - that's fair enough. However, If I want to upload a spreasheet or a word doc with photos etc do I have to download a 70+MB program so that I can convert it to an opensource format just so that I can upload it to here? Are there any other options open to me??

More
18 years 6 months ago #16993 by michaeloconnell

Well there are two things I'll say to that

BTW, I thought you only had two things to say! :wink:

Moderators: darragh
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds